Eggplant Parmesan. Classic for a reason, Italian baked Eggplant Parmesan is comfort food at its best. Breaded eggplant slices are layered with mozzarella, Parmesan, basil, and tomato sauce, and baked until bubbly. Eggplant slices are dipped in egg and bread crumbs and then baked, instead of fried.
This baked eggplant parmesan recipe will become one of your family favorites! Growing up, my mom's eggplant Parmesan recipe was one of my favorite things to eat. Eggplant parmesan will always be one of my top favorite comfort foods. You can cook Eggplant Parmesan using 10 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Eggplant Parmesan
- It’s 2-3 of large eggplants, peeled and cut into 1/2" slices. Try to only use the slices with seeds in them.
- You need 3 cups of flour.
- Prepare 4 of eggs, beaten with a splash of water.
- It’s 4 cups of italian seasoned bread crumbs.
- Prepare 2 cups of canola or vegetable oil.
- It’s of salt.
- Prepare 1 jar of your favorite italian red sauce.
- You need 16 oz of whole milk mozzarella cheese, freshly grated.
- You need 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese, freshly grated.
- You need of black pepper.
There is something about the dish that feels like it's giving you a giant hug. Growing up, I was not a huge fan of eggplant. Their eggplant Parmesan inspired the eggplant lasagna in my cookbook, which includes long strips of roasted eggplant layered between the noodles and marinara. Have you had the chance to try that one?
Eggplant Parmesan instructions
- Set up your dipping station. In separate mixing bowls, place your flour, egg, and bread crumbs in a row. Go down the row with each slice, covering with flour, then egg, and finally bread crumbs. Continue until all the eggplant is coated. Pro tip is to keep one hand dry and one wet..
- In a deep frying pan, heat up 1/2" of cooking oil until hot, on medium high. Add 4-5 slices at a time, cooking both sides until golden brown. Layer paper towels over a plate and place salted eggplant onto the plate. Add paper towels to every layer to soak up excess oil. Continue frying all the slices..
- On a 9"x13" pan, add 1/2 cup of sauce to the bottom of the pan. Add one layer of eggplant, a layer of red sauce, and 1/3 of the cheese. Continue layering in eggplant, sauce, and then cheese. On the third and last layer do not add in the mozzarella layer. The last 1/3 of the cheese will be added later..
- Bake covered at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
- Add the last 1/3 of the mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese, and fresh cracked pepper on top. Place back in the oven uncovered for 10 minutes, until top layer of cheese is melted..
This Baked Eggplant Parmesan recipe is lightened up a bit with baked (instead of fried) panko-crusted roasted eggplant, and layered up with a zesty combination of marinara, cheeses and fresh herbs. Eggplant Parmesan is a great dish that is easy to make. Similar to a lasagna, eggplant Parmesan is made in a casserole dish and baked in the oven with cheese and tomato sauce. One bite of Eggplant Parmesan and you'll be sold. Add flour to a shallow bowl.