Butternut mandazi (swahili donuts). Mandazi – an original east African doughnut recipe made of coconut and cardamom infused yeast dough. I add coconut flakes for an intense coconut flavor, and it tastes divine. Depending on my mood, I might add a splash of vanilla essence.
It is also known as bofrot or puff puff in Western African countries such as Ghana and Nigeria. These simple donuts from East Africa, known as mandazi, have a hint of cardamom and can be served as a sweet treat or alongside curry. Mandazi is one of the popular African dishes that you will find in the greater lakes of coastal regions of East Africa inhabited by the Swahili community. You can have Butternut mandazi (swahili donuts) using 9 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Butternut mandazi (swahili donuts)
- It’s 2 cup of all-purpose flour.
- Prepare 1 tsp of baking powder.
- Prepare 1 tsp of cardamon spice.
- It’s 2 of eggs.
- You need 1 of butternut or pumpkin.
- It’s 3 tbsp of butter or margarine.
- Prepare 1 of vegetable oil for frying.
- Prepare 4 tbsp of sugar.
- You need 1 pinch of salt.
It is a dish that can be served as a breakfast with tea, appetizer before lunch, or even a soft late night dinner to entertain your groaning stomach before. Easy Homemade Baked Mandazi/Mahamri Recipe (Swahili Coconut Doughnuts). Mandazi is a popular snack in Africa, Coastal Region of Kenya and Tanzania. I grew up in Mombasa- Kenya and over there we call these Mandazi because they aren't hollow inside unlike the 'Mahambri' that has a lovely air pocket, perfect for stuffing with coconut beans.
Butternut mandazi (swahili donuts) step by step
- Boil the butternut or pumpkin. Then peel it..
- Mash up.
- In a large bowl add the eggs, melted butter, cardamon spice, baking powder, sugar and a pitch of salt. Mix up.
- Mix up the ingredients and later add the mash.
- Keep adding the flour to the mix until the dough forms and becomes soft.
- Once done, Cover with a plastic paper bag of dump cloth. Leave over night or for 8 to 12 hours.
- Spilt the dough into two. And roll it flat not too thin not too thick. Cut into strip and later into squares.
- Add oil in a sauce pan and heat it. Once hot. Deep it the squares in the oil. Fry until browned.
- Serve it for breakfast or as a snack.
Our neighbours in Tanzania call it half cake, its also known as Puff puff in west Africa and Biegnets New. Mandazi, also known as the Swahili Bun or Swahili Coconut Doughnut (Swahili: Mandazi), is a form of fried bread that originated on the Swahili Coast. It is one of the principal dishes in the cuisine of the Swahili people who inhabit the African Great Lakes. African Doughnuts Coconut Mandazi Kenya Street Food Kenyan Breakfast Mahamri Mandazi. Deep fry making sure to keep splashing the hot oil on the top of the mandazi so that it puffs up.