You can cook Aubergine Parmigiana using 9 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Aubergine Parmigiana
- You need 1 of aubergine, sliced thinly.
- It’s of salt.
- It’s 350 g of passata or chopped tomatoes.
- You need 1/2 of an onion.
- You need 2 of garlic cloves.
- Prepare 1 handful of fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped (reserve some for the top).
- It’s of Flour.
- You need 250 g of mozzarella.
- Prepare 75 g of parmesan cheese.
Aubergine Parmigiana instructions
- Lay the aubergine out on kitchen roll and sprinkle liberally with salt, leave for the 30 mins. Turn over the aubergine and sprinkle the other side with salt. Leave for a further 30 mins..
- Heat some oil in a saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until soft but not browned..
- Add the passata and the basil and simmer for 10-15 mins, season to taste. Leave to cool..
- Preheat the oven to 170 C fan. Season the flour. Dust the aubergine lightly with the flour. Heat some oil in a frying pan and fry the aubergine one each side for 2-3 mins, until lightly browned, you will need to do this in batches, then set aside..
- Add a little of the tomato sauce to the bottom on the dish, then start layering, add a layer of aubergine, then add a layer of tomato sauce and sprinkle with both cheese. Repeat 2 more times finishing with a layer of cheese..
- Cover loosely with foil and bake for 25 mins, then remove the foil and continue to bake for 20 mins. Scatter over the reserved basil leaves. Serve warm with crusty bread and a salad..