Sütlaç (Türkish Rice pudding). This time I made most probably the most popular Turkish pudding called Sütlaç. A traditional dessert, Sütlaç contains rice, milk, and heavy cream. Usually, this dessert is made in a clay pot but I didn't have one so I used ramekins.
If you've ever been to Turkey, you know what I'm talking about. For those who haven't, these two recipes will introduce you to a simple classic beloved by all Turks. Jump to Recipe Rice pudding is a great way to use up plain cooked white rice. You can cook Sütlaç (Türkish Rice pudding) using 6 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Sütlaç (Türkish Rice pudding)
- It’s 3/4 cup of rice.
- It’s 4 cups of milk + 1 cup.
- You need 1 cup of (or less) sugar.
- You need of Water to boil.
- You need 3 tbs of rice flour.
- Prepare of Ground cinnamon to decorate.
To make rice pudding with cooked rice skip the first step (cooking the rice) and start by mixing the cooked rice and four cups of milk to simmer and proceed with the instructions. Rice pudding, is one of most common and much loved dairy treats. Dairy desserts are generally easier to make than baked desserts with syrups. Dairy desserts are generally considered lighter and have high nutritional value.
Sütlaç (Türkish Rice pudding) instructions
- Wash and boil 3/4 cup of rice in a generous amount of water.(about 5-6 cups) stir , when it boils wait until rice gets longer and water disappears .(don't let it burn. Happens). Remove. Boil 4 cups of milk in a large pot . Add cooked rice stir until it boils, lower the heat into medium..
- Meanwhile mash and stir 3 tbs of rice flour with 1 cup of cold milk.when milk boils have 3,4 tbs of hot milk to rice flour mix and stir to make warm the mixture ..
- Pour rice flour mixture into boiling milk/ rice. Keep stirring. Let boils about 7-10 minutes . You are still stirring. (Heat is medium.) ..
- Add about 1 cup of sugar or less. Up to you. Stir 5 more minutes..
- Remove from heat. Pour into cups and decorate with cinnamon.
- Let it cool and keep in the fridge ..
The key to make a delicious rice pudding is to be patient. The rice should be well done, almost mashed. … "Sütlaç's closest kin is rice pudding, but you'll notice that the inside texture is silky, and the top is coated with a thick and creamy skin. It's perhaps accurate to call fırın sütlaç (or, oven-milk pudding) a cross between Crème brûlée, custard and iced arroz con leche. Cooked on a stove top or baked in an oven, eaten hot or cold, rice pudding is enjoyed all over the globe. The basic ingredients for this simple but wholesome dessert are similar…rice, milk/water and sugar, but it is the variations, flavourings and additions by different cultures that give each rice pudding its own characteristic taste.