Spring Pesto, Veg and Feta Tart. Puff Pastry Tart with Pesto, Feta and Spring Veg (GF) A fabulous speedy lunch dish, this gluten free puff pastry tart featured a crispy, golden pastry base topped with crumbled feta, asparagus, spring onions, sunblushed tomatoes, pesto and rocket. This is something we default to regularly, as it's a hit with kids as much as adults! Spring Pesto, Veg and Feta Tart.
Dollop some pesto over the vegetables and cheese. If you're using home-made pastry flour, you could optionally use an egg wash on the border to get a nice golden finish. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, lemon zest and half of the herbs, with a good pinch of salt and pepper. You can cook Spring Pesto, Veg and Feta Tart using 19 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Spring Pesto, Veg and Feta Tart
- Prepare of For the pesto (you will only use 1/2 to 2/3 of this and the rest is great in a Caprese salad or stirred into pasta).
- You need of Small bunch basil.
- It’s Handful of rocket.
- Prepare Handful of spinach.
- You need 40 g of nuts.
- It’s 1 tsp of water.
- You need 1/2 of lemon, juiced.
- You need 3 tbsp of olive oil.
- It’s 1 of large garlic cloves.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of salt.
- It’s of For the tart.
- Prepare 1 pack of ready rolled puff pastry (375g).
- You need 1 of large courgette.
- It’s 100 g of asparagus.
- You need of Couple of spoonfuls of Caramelised Onion Chutney or 1 red onion [sliced thinly and caramelised over a low heat with 2 tsp butter, 2tsp brown sugar and 1 tsp balsamic vinegar].
- You need Handful of cherry tomatoes, halved.
- You need 100 g of Feta cheese.
- Prepare 1 of small egg or 1 tbsp milk as a wash.
- You need of Black pepper.
Spoon the leeks into the pastry case, crumble in the feta, then scatter over. Spring vegetable and feta cheese tart – an attractive asparagus, pea, scallion and cheese tart that makes the best use of Spring produce! Winter always feels so much longer than the other seasons, for that reason I am incredibly glad that it is finally over and Spring is here. Spread the tomato pesto onto the base of the tart.
Spring Pesto, Veg and Feta Tart instructions
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C..
- Use a vegetable peeler to make the courgette into ribbons. Peel on 4 sides until you reach the seedy middle which should be in a cuboid shape (this is perfect to add to soups, pasta or omelettes)..
- Sprinkle with a small layer of salt..
- Cut the asparagus lengthways so they are about 5mm thick (usually in half but may need to be in thirds)..
- Blend together the pesto ingredients until smooth, bright green. Adjust to taste..
- Lay out the puff pastry sheet on a baking sheet with the attached baking paper..
- Spread half the pesto in a layer over the puff pastry, leaving a border. You shouldn’t be able to see any pastry below the pesto so use more if needed..
- Pat the courgette dry and, without breaking the ribbons, try and remove as much liquid as possible..
- Lay the asparagus over the pesto then lay the courgette ribbons in waves all over the tart. Some should be sticking upright and some laying down to give different textures..
- Dot the halved tomatoes around the tart and then drizzle or spray olive oil over the surface..
- Do an egg or milk wash over the border and then bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown on the edges and underneath. Sprinkle the feta over after 15 minutes. You may need to put foil over the edges if they are browning too quickly..
- Crack some black pepper over the top and then cut into 4 pieces. Serve warm!.
Arrange the vegetable mixture on top in an even layer. Whisk the eggs and almond milk together until combined. Pour over the vegetables, then sprinkle the Italian herbs over the top. Once chilled, spread the pesto evenly over the entire surface of the puff pastry. Top with the quartered cherry tomatoes and the feta cheese.