Calico Beans. Pork and beans, kidney beans, butter beans, and lima beans mix it up with browned ground beef and bacon in a sweet and tangy sauce for a crowd-pleasing one-dish meal. In a bowl combine onion mixture, lima beans, pork and beans, red kidney beans, butter beans, garbanzo beans, catsup, molasses, brown sugar, mustard, and Worcestershire sauce. Partially drain all the beans (I don't drain the baked beans) and add to the baking dish or crock pot, stirring gently to mix.
By the way, you don't have to use those exact beans, strictly speaking. Add the brown sugar, dry mustard, baked beans, two cans of drained beans, ketchup or barbecue sauce, and vinegar. Taste and season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. You can have Calico Beans using 10 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Calico Beans
- It’s 1 lb of ground beef.
- You need 1 of family size can of Bush Baked Beans.
- You need 1 can of butter beans.
- You need 1 can of red kidney beans.
- Prepare 1 of medium yellow onion (minced).
- Prepare 2 tsp of vinegar.
- You need to taste of salt & pepper.
- Prepare 2 tsp of yellow mustard.
- It’s 1 cup of ketchup.
- Prepare 2 cups of brown sugar.
This is a tradition at the table when my girlfriends and I go up north for a girls' weekend. The husbands and kids are left at home, but the slow cooker comes with us! —Julie Butsch, Hartland, Wisconsin. Cowboy Calico Beans Recipe photo by Taste of Home. How to Make Calico Beans Preparing calico beans is pretty simple, other than cooking the bacon and the beef separately, you essentially just combine all of the ingredients into a pot and cook until it's done.
Calico Beans step by step
- In frying pan cook ground beef with minced onion, drain the grease, then add to crockpot. Place crockpot on high..
- Add baked beans, butter beans, kidney beans, vinegar, mustard, ketchup, salt & pepper & brown sugar. Stir with serving spoon, mix well. Cover & let cook for 3-4 hrs..
- Enjoy!!! 😆.
See the instructions below for how easy this is and if you love bean based recipes, try my Chili Recipe too! Nourishing, satisfying and the best pot of beans you'll ever tango with. A great line up of beans, bacon and a perfect combination of sweet and spicy. Planning a late Summer BBQ, you know, the one you've been putting off and you're afraid you're losing track of warm weather gatherings? Welcome to the Calico Bean Market, the BEST bulk food, peanut butter, sprinkles, ground coffee, sauces, snacks and more!