Calico Beans. Pork and beans, kidney beans, butter beans, and lima beans mix it up with browned ground beef and bacon in a sweet and tangy sauce for a crowd-pleasing one-dish meal. In a bowl combine onion mixture, lima beans, pork and beans, red kidney beans, butter beans, garbanzo beans, catsup, molasses, brown sugar, mustard, and Worcestershire sauce. Partially drain all the beans (I don't drain the baked beans) and add to the baking dish or crock pot, stirring gently to mix.
By the way, you don't have to use those exact beans, strictly speaking. Add the brown sugar, dry mustard, baked beans, two cans of drained beans, ketchup or barbecue sauce, and vinegar. Taste and season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. You can have Calico Beans using 15 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Calico Beans
- You need 1 can of kidney beans.
- It’s 1 can of butter beans.
- Prepare 1 can of pinto beans.
- It’s 1 can of cannellini beans.
- It’s 1 can of diced tomatoes.
- You need 1 lb. of bacon.
- It’s 1 lb. of pork sausage.
- You need 3/4 cup of brown sugar.
- You need 1/4 cup of barbecue sauce.
- It’s 1 of large onion, diced.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of ketchup.
- Prepare 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar.
- It’s 4 tablespoons of mustard.
- You need 2 tablespoons of minced garlic.
- Prepare to taste of Salt and pepper.
This is a tradition at the table when my girlfriends and I go up north for a girls' weekend. The husbands and kids are left at home, but the slow cooker comes with us! —Julie Butsch, Hartland, Wisconsin. Cowboy Calico Beans Recipe photo by Taste of Home. How to Make Calico Beans Preparing calico beans is pretty simple, other than cooking the bacon and the beef separately, you essentially just combine all of the ingredients into a pot and cook until it's done.
Calico Beans step by step
- Preheat oven to 325..
- Chop the bacon and cook until crisp in a larger Dutch oven or oven after pot with lid. Remove..
- Brown and crumble sausage. Drain..
- Cook onion and garlic until aromat..
- Add all ingredients to pot and stir until combined..
- Bake for 45 minutes..
See the instructions below for how easy this is and if you love bean based recipes, try my Chili Recipe too! Nourishing, satisfying and the best pot of beans you'll ever tango with. A great line up of beans, bacon and a perfect combination of sweet and spicy. Planning a late Summer BBQ, you know, the one you've been putting off and you're afraid you're losing track of warm weather gatherings? Welcome to the Calico Bean Market, the BEST bulk food, peanut butter, sprinkles, ground coffee, sauces, snacks and more!