Leah's Calico Beans. Combine all the beans and meat mixture in a large baking pan. I find that a roasting pan works well. Mix together the mustard, ketchup, molasses, and brown sugar together.
Nourishing, satisfying and the best pot of beans you'll ever tango with. A great line up of beans, bacon and a perfect combination of sweet and spicy. Planning a late Summer BBQ, you know, the one you've been putting off and you're afraid you're losing track of warm weather gatherings? You can have Leah's Calico Beans using 10 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Leah's Calico Beans
- It’s 1 lb of ground beef.
- Prepare 1/2 lb of bacon.
- It’s 1 cup of onion, chopped.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of dry mustard.
- It’s 2 tbsp of molasses.
- You need 1/2 cup of ketchup.
- Prepare 1 cup of brown sugar.
- It’s 1 of 16 oz can of kidney beans, drained.
- Prepare 1 can of 16 oz. lima beans, drained.
- You need 1 of 28 oz. can of pork and beans.
Soak beans overnight in cold water. Rinse and drain in the morning. When cooked, add the sauce mixture – don't drain of the grease as that flavors the beans. Several cans of beans, bacon, and hamburger are the basis for this hearty and colorful calico bean dish.
Leah's Calico Beans step by step
- Brown beef and cut up bacon, remove from grease with slotted spoon. Sautè onion in left-over grease, remove with slotted spoon and stir into meat mixture..
- Combine all the beans and meat mixture in a large baking pan. I find that a roasting pan works well..
- Mix together the mustard, ketchup, molasses, and brown sugar together. Then mix thoroughly into the beans and meat..
- Bake in a 350° oven for about 45-60 minutrs. Delicious!.
This bean casserole is the best for an easy weeknight meal option. It's also an ideal bean dish to take to pot lucks and is the perfect side for any backyard party or cookout. I love the color mix almost as much as the taste. My mother made these when I was growing up. They are, by far, the best baked beans ever!