Homemade Fruit Roll-ups. The secret to homemade fruit roll-ups. That's right, just let your homemade fruit roll-ups dehydrate in the oven, using as low of temperature as your oven will go. It's finished when the middle is no longer tacky.
Puree : Many (actually, most) recipes for fruit leathers/roll-ups have you simmer the fruit on the stove first. The trick to making homemade fruit roll-ups is to spread the fruit mixture out into a thin, but not too thin layer. Basically, you want to use a spatula to spread out the mixture into about ⅛ inch thick without leaving any holes. You can have Homemade Fruit Roll-ups using 3 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Homemade Fruit Roll-ups
- It’s 400 grams of Strawberries or Raspberries.
- It’s 100 ml of Sugar.
- You need 1 tbsp of Lemon juice.
Use kitchen shears to slice the fruit leather and paper into long strips and roll them up (the paper keeps the fruit leather from sticking to itself if it's still a bit tacky), or cut out whatever shapes you want if you're good with freehand designs. How to Store Fruit Leather You can experiment with different fruit combinations to make these fruit leather roll-ups – use all strawberry or mix strawberry with raspberry, blueberries and blackberries. If you don't like the seeds, strain the puree with a mesh strainer for a smooth finish. How to Make Homemade Fruit Roll-Ups Homemade Fruit Roll-Ups.
Homemade Fruit Roll-ups instructions
- Crush the raspberries in a food processor 1/3 at a time and blend until puréed. Rinse a pot with water and then pour the berries into the pot..
- Add the sugar and lemon juice and turn the heat to medium..
- Once it begins to simmer and bubbles begin to form, leave it alone and let it simmer for 15 minutes. Use a spatula to stir up the bottom..
- It will become glazed and the bubbles will disappear. Let it boil down for 10 more minutes without letting it burn. Once it becomes the same texture as jam, turn off the heat..
- Line 2 baking trays with paraffin paper, wax paper, Silpat, or another type of non-stick parchment paper..
- Pour the boiled mixture from Step 4 into the trays from Step 5 and use a spatula to spread it out until 3 mm thick..
- Place into an oven preheated to 75°C (170°F) and bake for 3-4 hours to dry it out. When done, it should be just a tad sticky when touched..
- Place on a cooling rack and let it cool. Cut into your choice of size..
- If you place it on wax paper and roll it up, it will be just like store bought "Fruit by the Foot" or "Fruit Roll-ups!".
- Store in a Tupperware (or plastic) container and it will keep for about 1 week at room temperature. If you make it on the weekend, you can put them in the kids' lunchboxes during the week..
Mom confession: my kids LOVE fruit roll-ups and we have occasionally bought them in the past. I loved them as a kid too and I turned out fine…wink, wink. However, I'm not crazy about the amount of sugar and dyes in the store-bought fruit roll-ups. So I started looking into making our own at home. Making your own fruit roll-ups is as simple as blending fruit!