Homemade pumpkin pie and crust. To make pie crust, add flour, cinnamon, ginger, sugar, salt and cloves to bowl of a food processor fitted with dough blade. Traditionally the crust for pumpkin pie is not baked before the filling is added. This is because the filling takes so long to cook that the edges of the dough easily end up burnt.
For the easy pie crust: While the pumpkin is cooking, make the crust. In a large bowl, combine the flour and salt. Add in the butter and work into the dough with a fork until the mixture is. You can have Homemade pumpkin pie and crust using 13 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Homemade pumpkin pie and crust
- Prepare of for crust:.
- You need 1 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour.
- You need 1/4 tsp of salt.
- You need 1 tsp of sugar.
- You need 8 tbsp of cold unsalted butter (1 stick).
- You need 5 tbsp of ice water.
- You need of pumpkin pie filling.
- You need 1 can of 15 oz pumpkin.
- Prepare 1 can of 12 oz evaporated milk.
- You need 3/4 cup of granulated sugar.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of pumpkin spice.
- It’s 2 large of eggs.
- It’s 1 of whipped cream (optional).
Prepare pie crust by mixing together the flour and salt. Mix dough and repeat until dough is moist enough to hold together. Place your pie on the center rack of your oven, along with the leaf in a separate small baking pan. Remove the leaf from the oven when it is just turning golden brown around the edges, about five minutes.
Homemade pumpkin pie and crust instructions
- Preheat oven to 350° Mix flour, salt and sugar in a medium bowl.
- Cut butter into small pieces and add to bowl. Use a pastry cutter or even a fork works to cut butter into flour mixture until butter is pea sized..
- Drizzle 4 tablespoons of ice water and mix just until it comes together… don't overwork the dough (use last tablespoon if needed).
- Shape dough to fit pie pan, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for atleast 30 minutes..
- Replace plastic wrap with wax paper and use pie weights, a good layer dried beans or even rice. Place in middle rack of oven for 15 minutes..
- Remove wax paper and weights, beans or rice and continue to bake an additional 10 minutes to achieve a good color..
- Allow it to cool completely before adding pie filling..
- To make pumpkin pie filling:.
- Preheat oven to 425° Beat eggs in large bowl. Stir in pumpkin, sugar and spice. Gradually stir in evaporated milk..
- Pour in cooled pie crust, bake for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350° F; bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 2 hours. Serve immediately or refrigerate. Top with whipped cream before serving..
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the sugars, flour, salt, and spices. In a large measuring cup, beat together the eggs, pumpkin, and cream or evaporated milk. For best flavor, cover and refrigerate the filling overnight before baking. The best way to fill a pumpkin pie crust is to place the chilled pie crust onto a baking sheet. Then fill the pie up halfway with your filling.