Southern Hamburger Chunks with Onion Gravy. Add onions and saute until tender and golden. Slowly pour in water, then the gravy packet, and stir. Bring to a simmer and then add hamburgers back to the skillet.
Just beef, broth, spices onions, and flour. Maybe a little bit of butter and fresh garlic for good measure. And man is it a comforting, hearty meal. You can cook Southern Hamburger Chunks with Onion Gravy using 12 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Southern Hamburger Chunks with Onion Gravy
- It’s 1 lb of ground beef.
- It’s 1 Tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil.
- You need 1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of garlic powder.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of onion powder.
- You need 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper.
- You need 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- Prepare 1 of small sweet onion diced into thin strips.
- You need 3 Tablespoons of butter (optional).
- Prepare 1 packet of brown gravy mix.
- It’s 1 cup of water.
- It’s of parsley (for garnish).
In a large bowl, mix together the ground beef, egg, bread crumbs, pepper, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and Worcestershire sauce. Pour this mixture into the skillet with the onions and stir constantly, until mixture begins to thicken. For the Mushroom and Onion Gravy: Once the burgers are cooked, reduce heat in the same skillet to medium and add ghee to melt. Mix ground beef, egg, bread crumbs, pepper, salt, onion powder, garlic and Worcestershire sauce in a large bowl and then form thick patties.
Southern Hamburger Chunks with Onion Gravy instructions
- Add ground beef, olive oil, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, & salt into a large bowl..
- Use your hands to combine the spices with the beef..
- Shape the mixture into 3 patties..
- Heat a large stainless steel skillet over medium-high heat..
- Sear the burgers on both sides to create a nice "crust" on the burgers. (Note: My patties broke apart, so I broke them into big chunks).
- Remove burgers from skillet and place on a plate. Set aside..
- Leave 3 Tablespoons of fat in the skillet or add 3 tablespoons of butter if you prefer not to use beef fat..
- Add onions and saute until tender and golden..
- Slowly pour in water, then the gravy packet, and stir..
- Bring to a simmer and then add hamburgers back to the skillet..
- Simmer until gravy has thickened and hamburgers are cooked through..
- If needed, season with salt and black pepper..
In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat and fry the burgers with onions until golden brown. Place them on a plate and keep them warm. Stir in prepared gravy, and bring to a light boil. Hamburger Steak with Creamy Onion Gravy A diner classic and a southern favorite, seasoned ground beef patties cooked with caramelized onion and gravy is a belly-pleaser. Hamburger Steak with Creamy Onion Gravy Hamburger steak should be in everybody's go-to recipe box and this recipe is a perfect combination of flavors.