Black Sticky Rice porridge. A popular Thai dessert/snack of black sticky rice pudding is reinterpreted as a wholesome breakfast porridge that happens to be made of whole grain, vegan, and gluten-free. Unlike the Filipino champorado which gets its dark color from chocolate, the Indonesian and Malaysian black sticky rice porridge is dark because of the color of the rice itself. Despite being labeled as "black sticky rice", the grains are a dark purple and the flavor is somewhat nutty.
With different flour, it will certainly make it taste more unique and delicious compared to the usual. So what is this black glutinous rice? It is an unpolished sticky rice, meaning the bran has not been removed, is purplish black in colour and has a chewy texture. You can have Black Sticky Rice porridge using 5 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Black Sticky Rice porridge
- Prepare 200 grams of black glutinous rice.
- You need 2 pcs of pandan leaves, knotted.
- Prepare 150-200 grams of white sugar.
- It’s 1 tsp of salt.
- It’s 400 ml of coconut cream or coconut milk.
It has a nutty flavour and naturally sweet. This black glutinous rice also contains a lot of fiber and antioxidants. Bubur ketan hitam, also known as bubur pulut hitam or bubur injun, is a popular Indonesian sweet porridge from black glutinous rice (or black sticky rice), palm sugar, scented with pandan leaves, and eaten with thick coconut milk. Porridge is more soupy than pudding.
Black Sticky Rice porridge step by step
- Soak glutinous rice for few hours or overnight. After few rinses, put the rice in a pot, add water to cover the rice up to 1 inch on top of the rice. Add the pandan leaves and bring to boil. Cook till the rice has expanded, soft and slightly mushy; like porridge texture.
- Add the sugar and salt and stir until sugar is fully dissolved. Add the coconut milk/cream (saving few tablespoons to drizzle on top when serving) and let simmer again for another 5 minutes. Turn the heat off..
- Ransfer into individual bowls, drizzle a teaspoon of the coconut cream and serve warm. #buburpuluthitam.
Porridge will drip down the spoon when tilted; if pudding drops off the spoon at all, it will fall like a blob. This is true whether the dish includes black sticky rice or not. Moreover, pudding almost always contains eggs which act as a binder. This is black sticky rice pudding. Try this Asian, creamy-nutty flavored gluten-free and dairy-free Black Rice Porridge for breakfast or serve even as dessert and break the monotony of everyday breakfast.