Coconut rice. Coconut rice is a Thai style rice that uses a slightly different method than you would normally use to cook rice. Typically, you would bring the water to a boil first before adding the rice, but. In a large saucepan over high heat, combine rice, coconut milk and salt; bring to a boil.
Place the pot over high heat and, bring the liquid to a boil. Stir and reduce the heat to the lowest. In saucepan, combine rice, coconut milk, water, sugar & salt. You can have Coconut rice using 10 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Coconut rice
- Prepare of Rice – 2 cups (preferably local rice).
- Prepare 1 litre of Coconut milk.
- Prepare 1 of medium onion.
- It’s 6-7 of scotch bonnet chillies.
- Prepare 5 of small tomatoes.
- Prepare 2 tbsps of cooking oil.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of Curry powder.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of nutmeg powder.
- Prepare 2 of Seasoning cubes.
- You need of Salt.
Basically the liquids should reach the area RIGHT BEFORE your cuticle (middle of the white semi-circle on your finger nail but not reaching your cuticle). Coconut milk lends rice both fat and sweetness, making it a richer, more mellow side than plain rice. To make it, simply replace half of the cooking water with coconut milk. Martha Stewart Rinsing rice in lukewarm water removes excess starch and prevents the rice from becoming gummy once cooked.
Coconut rice step by step
- Step 1: Soak your rice in hot water for about 5mins. Drain and rinse thoroughly till the water runs clear. Set aside on a sieve..
- Step 2: Chop your tomatoes, chillies and onions and set aside..
- Step 3: Heat your cooking oil over medium heat. Add Curry powder, nutmeg and onions and saute for 3-5mins..
- Step 4: Add the coconut milk to the sautéed onions and cook over low heat till hot. Do not let the milk boil or it will curdle..
- Step 5: When the coconut milk is hot, add your rice, chillies, Seasoning cubes and salt. Cover and cook till the rice is done..
- Add your chopped tomatoes, mix and turn off heat..
Rinsing rice in lukewarm water removes excess starch and prevents the rice from becoming gummy once cooked. Coconut rice makes a terrific accompaniment to many Thai and Indian dishes, but it's equally wonderful with nearly any Western-style entrée. Quick and easy to make, this vegan coconut rice recipe will come in handy for those times when you want to make dinner extra special without a lot of extra work. Coconut rice is a wonderfully fragrant addition to any Asian-style meal, and it's easy to make too! Just simmer jasmine rice in coconut milk until the grains are light and fluffy then top with toasted coconut flakes for extra sweetness and texture.