Coconut curry pigeon peas (mbaazi)with turmeric rice. Add water, thin coconut milk, pigeon peas, salt and turmeric powder. When the mixture begins to simmer, lower the heat. Cover the pan and let the mixture simmer till the peas become soft.
In a large pot, combine pigeon peas and just enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer until the peas begin to become tender and most of the water is absorbed. Continue to simmer over low heat. You can have Coconut curry pigeon peas (mbaazi)with turmeric rice using 17 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Coconut curry pigeon peas (mbaazi)with turmeric rice
- It’s 2 cups of pigeon peas (preboiled).
- It’s 1 of onion.
- Prepare 1 of chili.
- Prepare 2 cups of coconut milk.
- You need 3 tbsp of dessicated coocount.
- You need 1 tbsp of garlic/ginger paste.
- You need 1 1/2 tbsp of curry powder.
- It’s 2 of royco cubes.
- You need 1 cup of large tomato.
- It’s 1 tbsp of tomato paste.
- It’s of Oil.
- Prepare of Turmeric Rice.
- It’s 2 cups of rice.
- You need 4 cups of water.
- You need 3/4 tsp of turmeric.
- You need 1 tbsp of oil.
- Prepare to taste of Salt.
Add more water as necessary to prevent the peas from becoming dry. I have always wanted to make this dish for the longest time, Last time I ate it was when I was a little girl in Mombasa, and I never forgot how much I loved. Boil the beans in plenty of water until the beans are soft. Try to add the water slowly so you do not have to drain the water out when the beans are ready.
Coconut curry pigeon peas (mbaazi)with turmeric rice step by step
- Heat oil, add curry powder cook for a little bit then add onions. Add the garlic/ginger paste and cook till golden. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, dessicated coconut. Cover for 2-3mins. Add pigeon peas.
- Add the coconut milk stir, cover and let it cook for 8-10mins. Add crumble royco cubes and cook for another 5 mins. Incase it gets too thick add abit of water..
- Boil water with salt, turmeric and oil. Add rice reduce the heat and cook till there's no water left..
Place grated coconut in some cheese cloth or a handkerchief and then into a bowl. Pour the peas into a deep pan. Pour the THIN milk into the pan with the peas, making sure you JUST cover the mbaazi. Too much will make it watery (so adjust as required, you might need more or less, just make sure it's enough to cover the peas). Coconut curry pigeon peas (mbaazi)with turmeric rice pigeon peas (preboiled) • onion • chili • coconut milk • dessicated coocount • garlic/ginger paste • curry powder • royco cubes Uzzie's lunchbox Experience the authentic flavors of the Dominican Republic with this Rice and Pigeon Peas with Coconut recipe (called Moro de Guandules con Coco in the Dominican Republic).