Curd Rice with coconut dry chutney. This yogurt coconut dip is served with idli, dosa, uttapam or vada. This is another variation of chutney which I often make along with South Indian tiffin breakfast or snacks. Chammandhi Podi is a dry chutney powder made with roasted coconut, which can be stored for months.
The topping is a mixture of onion and chili paste (called yerra karam) and a chutney made with tomato and flour made in a gravy of curd. It is also occasionally topped with fried gram powder. Making coconut curd chutney recipe: Take grated coconut, yogurt and chilies in a mixer jar. You can cook Curd Rice with coconut dry chutney using 21 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Curd Rice with coconut dry chutney
- You need 1 cup of cooked and cooled rice.
- Prepare 1 of milk.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of curd.
- Prepare 2-3 of green chilies, chopped.
- You need 1 small of Ginger, finely chopped.
- It’s as required of Coriander leaves, chopped.
- You need as needed of salt.
- It’s For of tempering.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of mustard seeds.
- It’s 1 tsp of chana dal.
- Prepare 1 tsp of urad dal.
- It’s 1 sprig of curry leaves.
- You need 1 pinch of asafoetida.
- You need 4-5 of nos of cashew nuts (optional).
- You need For of coconut dry chutney/ thengai thovayal.
- You need 3/4 cup of grated coconut.
- It’s 2 of green chilies.
- It’s 1 sprig of curry leaves.
- Prepare as required of corinader leaves.
- You need 1/2 cup of white chana dal.
- It’s to taste of salt.
Add only ¼ cup of water. Thenga Chammanthi (Dry Coconut Chutney): A traditional dry chutney recipe from Indian's southern state of Kerala. In olden days thenga chammanthi was prepared every day in homes as this was considered as a must have side dish for rice. Add dry or fresh chopped coconut, curd, lemon juice, salt and half a cup of water, grind it again, and make a paste.
Curd Rice with coconut dry chutney step by step
- Take 1 cup of cooked and cooled rice in a curry pan and mash it well. Then add 1 cup of cool milk, 1/2 cup of curd and chopped ginger and chilies, and mix it well till it becomes creamy..
- Heat a pan with oil. Add mustard seeds, chana dal, urad dal, a pinch of asafoetida and 1 sprig of curry leaves to temper. Pour the tempering into the curd rice and mix. Garnish with coriander leaves. South Indian curd rice is ready to serve..
- For making dry coconut chutney, add grated coconut, green chilies, white chana dal, curry leaves, coriander leaves and salt in a blender and grind it coursely..
- Note: Avoid adding cold yogurt to hot rice as the curd may coagulate that can lead to imbalances in the body. So make sure that the rice is fully cooled before mixing with curd..
If you want a slightly thin chutney, add some water to adjust consistency, and grind it again. The combination of roasted dals, coconut, dry red chillies and garlic into coconut chutney powder is not only useful as temptingly spicy spread for toasts and sandwiches but also a must have accompaniment for dosa, rice and meals. It is one of the most versatile condiment in all south Indian homes. We do not grate the coconut because we need a grainy chutney. Grated coconut when ground will become a smooth paste.