My Gran's Irish Stew And Dumplings. To make the dumplings: sift dry ingredients together, cut in fat and add enough milk to give a smooth drop batter. Drop by spoonfuls over the top of the stew (the stew should be kept boiling hot). Submit a Recipe Correction A Bit of the Irish Stew with Crusted Dumplings Irish Stew is one of the best casserole dishes in the entire world.
Irish stout beef stew is flavorful and hearty and topped with delicious herb dumplings. For the Dumplings, sift the flour, baking powder and Garlic & Herb Seasoning together. Rub in the butter, and add parsley. You can have My Gran's Irish Stew And Dumplings using 13 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of My Gran's Irish Stew And Dumplings
- It’s 4-5 of large potatoes.
- You need 1 of large leek.
- It’s 3-4 of carrots.
- It’s 200 g of lamb mince.
- Prepare 2-3 of bay leaves.
- You need 2-3 of cloves.
- It’s 500 ml of hot meat stock.
- Prepare to taste of Salt.
- You need of Dumplings :.
- Prepare 100 g of self raising flour.
- It’s 50 g of cold butter.
- Prepare of Sprinkle of herbs of your choice.
- You need of Sprinkle of cold water.
Beat grated onion, egg and buttermilk together, and stir into dry ingredients to form a soft dough. Drop spoonfuls on top of the stew. Serve in a nice big bowl with some cracked pepper on top. My Grandma was Irish and her heritage certainly came out in her cooking.
My Gran's Irish Stew And Dumplings instructions
- Bring large pot of water to the boil. Chop and add the leek. Add bay leaves and cloves. Simmer for about 1 hour.
- Add hot stock (water will have reduced a little bit). Peel potatoes and carrots. Put them in. Continue simmering for another 30 minutes.
- Brown mince, don't use oil. Drain excess fat and add it in. Continue simmering for another 15-20 minutes..
- Make dumplings. Add herbs and cold butter to flour. Rub with your fingers until you get breadcrumbs. Add a sprinkle of cold water and mix until the dough is sticky.
- Using a teaspoon, dump the dumplings in the stew. Simmer for about another 20-30 minutes. Add salt to taste.
- Serve and enjoy 😊.
When I was working on my Irish Soda Bread I knew that we just had to have Grandma's Irish Stew to go with it. It is the same meal that I had in my Grandma's kitchen so many times when I was a youth and this has brought back so many wonderful memories. directions Place the flour, salt, and pepper in a large zip-top plastic bag. Add the meat, seal the bag, and shake well to coat in the flour. Add the entire contents of the bag to the crock pot. Rich and hearty Guinness Beef Stew is a classic that you'll find at pubs and family dinner tables all across Ireland.