Chicken Biryani. In a medium-size pot, heat the chicken stock and salt. When the mixture is hot pour it over the rice and stir well. Add the chicken mixture and the potatoes; gently mix them into the rice.
Popular throughout India, Pakistan, and the Middle East, this chicken dinner varies depending on the region but typically consists of rice layered with lavishly spiced meat or vegetables. Biryani can be an elaborate, ambitious affair, packed with layer upon layer of spiced meat and vegetables all steaming together with ghee. This version is simplified, with just two layers—marinated. You can have Chicken Biryani using 30 ingredients and 23 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Chicken Biryani
- You need 4 of Cups/750 grams Basmati Rice.
- You need 1 Kg of Chicken (Boneless & Skinless thighs cut into bite size pieces).
- You need 3 of Medium Onions (Thinly Sliced).
- It’s 1 of Cup/250 grams Yoghurt.
- Prepare 1 Tbsp of Ginger paste.
- Prepare 1 Tbsp of Garlic paste.
- You need 1 Tbsp of Green chilies paste.
- It’s 2 Tbsp of Lemon juice.
- Prepare 2 Tsp of Turmeric powder.
- You need 2 Tsp of Caraway seeds/Shahi Jeera.
- Prepare 4 Tsp of Salt (1 Teaspoon per cup of rice) OR As per taste.
- You need A few of drops of Liquid Food Colour (Red) Optional.
- You need 1/2 Bunch of Coriander greens (Chopped).
- It’s 1/2 Bunch of Mint leaves (Chopped).
- Prepare 6 Tbsp of Cooking oil (Divided).
- You need 16 Cups of Water(4 Times the Rice).
- Prepare of Whole Spices for the Biryani Masala blend: (Grind together).
- It’s 1 Tsp of Coriander Seeds.
- You need 1 Tsp of Cumin Seeds.
- It’s 1 Tsp of Caraway Seeds.
- You need 2 of Star Anise (Whole).
- It’s 1 of Mace (Large flower).
- Prepare 2 of Bay leaves.
- You need 2 of Cinnamon Sticks.
- You need 6 of Green Cardamoms.
- Prepare 3 of Brown Cardamoms.
- Prepare 1 Tsp of Dagad Phool/Stone Flower.
- Prepare 1 of Nutmeg.
- It’s of or.
- You need 1 of Packet/60 grams Readymade Biryani Mix.
Chicken Rice Have you ever tried making Indian biryani at home? There's something magical that happens when you combine chicken, rice, a number of spices and you infuse it with cardamom pods, saffron, and top the whole thing with fried onions. Photography Credit: Prerna Singh Chicken biryani is a simple and super flavourful one-pot meal that is best served with raita and salad. There is a reason why chicken biryani is the most ordered dish in India since the last few years!
Chicken Biryani instructions
- Grind all the whole spices together as listed under “Whole Spices”. Set aside. Keep covered until use..
- Wash the Chicken thoroughly. Cut into small cubes/bite size pieces..
- Marinate with Yogurt, Ginger paste, Garlic paste, Green Chilies paste, Lemon juice, Turmeric powder, Salt & the freshly ground Biryani Masala blend or 1 Packet/60 Grams/4 Tablespoons of any readymade Biryani Masala..
- Mix well & keep aside for 10-15 minutes..
- Wash the rice until the water runs clear. Soak in enough water for 10-15 minutes..
- Heat 16 cups of water in a large heavy bottomed pot..
- When the water comes to a rolling boil, add the Rice along with 2 Tablespoons of oil..
- Cook uncovered on medium heat until 80-85% done..
- Drain the water in a colander. Shake off the excess water. Keep covered..
- Heat 4 Tablespoons oil in a large nonstick Wok or Skillet..
- Tip in the Caraway seeds. Let them crackle & release their aroma. Sauté the onion on high heat until golden..
- Add the marinated chicken. Cook for 5 minutes on medium-high heat..
- Add one cup water. Stir well. Cover & cook for 8-10 minutes on low-medium heat..
- Take out half the chicken along with some gravy in a bowl..
- Add half of the Rice followed by some Coriander & Mint Leaves. Spread it nicely all over on top of the Chicken..
- Add the Chicken along with the gravy back on top of the Rice. Spread it nicely all over the Chicken..
- Add the remaining half of the Rice..
- Add the Food Colour (if using) drop by drop here & there. Increase the heat to high for about 30 seconds. Reduce the heat to low after 30 seconds..
- Cover with a tight fitting lid & cook for about 10 minutes over low heat..
- Garnish with chopped Coriander & Mint..
- Scoop out from the bottom with a large ladle/spatula & transfer to a serving dish..
- Enjoy hot with your favorite Raita & Papad..
But why order it when you can make flavourful and delectable restaurant-style biryani at home? Traditional chicken biryani is made by layering marinated chicken and then layered with parboiled rice, herbs,saffron milk & then ghee. I have shared that traditional hyderabadi biryani here. Chicken Biryani is a savory chicken and rice dish that includes layers of chicken, rice, and aromatics that are steamed together. The bottom layer of rice absorbs all the chicken juices as it cooks, giving it a tender texture and rich flavor, while the top layer of rice turns out white and fluffy.