Tamarind rice(first method). Two method through which we can make tamarind rice are : The rice is first cooked and then mixed with tamarind sauce or pulikachal. The second method is where the raw rice is cooked in the tamarind sauce. Great recipe for Tamarind rice(first method).
Tamarind Rice Recipe Preparation Method Tamarind a Ayurvedic medicine used for proper cardiovascular activity and digestion. Tamarind is widely used in asian countries also it is nowadays used in the rest of the world too. Here is the simple method on how to prepare the tamarind rice with richness of Indian masala. You can cook Tamarind rice(first method) using 18 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Tamarind rice(first method)
- Prepare 400 grams – 500 grams of fine rice.
- It’s 1 medium cup of thick tamarind pulp.
- You need 1 medium sized of ginger piece.
- You need 1 of small cup of groundnut oil.
- You need 1 table spoon of rai(mustard).
- You need 1 and half tablespoon of jeera(cumin seeds).
- Prepare 2 tablespoons of Chana dal(split Bengal gram).
- You need 2 tablespoons of udad dal(split Black gram).
- You need as per taste of Salt.
- It’s 3 table spoons of mung phali(peanuts).
- You need 5-6 of red chillies.
- It’s 5-6 of split green chillies.
- It’s 1/4 tablespoon of hing.
- You need 1 teaspoon of methi(fenugreek seeds).
- It’s 1 small piece of gud(jaggery).
- It’s as per taste of salt.
- You need 1 medium cup of curry leaves.
- It’s Half tablespoon of haldi (turmeric powder).
Spread the rice on a plate to cool. Once it cools, add needed spice powder, tamarind paste and mix the rice gently. Adjust spice powder and tamarind paste according to your taste. The other method is to add the tamarind extract and spice powder to the tempering itself until it becomes a thick paste.
Tamarind rice(first method) instructions
- Take a large bowl and transfer the cooked rice into it. Rice granules shouldn't stick to each other. Add a portion of turmeric, a portion of salt, curry leaves and two spoons of oil to the rice. Just stir it once. Make a small hole in the middle. Place ginger in the middle. Cover it with a lid. Make sure that the rice is very hot. Ginger is kept in the middle of the hot rice bowl so that it releases its juice into the rice and gives out a fine aroma..
- Take a pan and heat oil. Add rai, jeera, hing, chana dal, udad dal, peanuts green chillies, redchillies, methi seeds, haldi and curry leaves.Stir it well. Roast it till a fine aroma comes out of it. Switch off the flame. Chillies can be adjusted according to your taste..
- Transfer the contents into a plate leaving a little bit of oil in the pan. Add tamarind pulp, two slit green chillies, salt and gud. Cook it on a low flame till it starts leaving oil on the edges. Keep on stirring. It turns into a fine paste. Switch off the flame and let it cool..
- Once it cools down, add tamarind paste and the seasoning to the rice. Stir it well. Take out the ginger piece from the rice.Tamarind rice is ready to serve..
- It's usually made on festivals and special occasions. Very tasty..
I like to add the tempering separately as the dals and peanuts retain their crunch better in that method as against boiling with tamarind extract. This recipe was first shared by me on India Food Network. In the same kadai, add sesame oil and temper with mustard, chana dal, urad dal, red chillies torn into small pieces, asafoetida. Once mustard pops and dals are golden, add curry leaves. Cook this tamarind pulp till thick.