Bharwa Bhindi. Bharwa bhindi is a delicious and flavorful Punjabi recipe of okra stuffed with spice powders. In Hindi 'bharwa' means stuffed and 'bhindi' is okra. So in English, the recipe translates to stuffed okra.
Bhindi aka okra, is one of my favorite vegetables. In India, we cook okra a lot and almost everyone likes it. Bharwa Bhindi or Stuffed Okra is a popular Indian side dish in which bhindi (okra / lady finger) are stuffed with a tangy and spicy masala filling. You can have Bharwa Bhindi using 10 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Bharwa Bhindi
- You need 500 gm of Bhindi (Okra).
- Prepare 2 Teaspoons of Garam Masala.
- You need 1/2 Teaspoon of Haldi (Turmeric Powder).
- Prepare 1 Teaspoon or as per taste of Salt,.
- You need 2 Teaspoon of Dhaniya Powder (Coriander Powder).
- You need 1 Teaspoon of Saunf (Fennel Seeds).
- Prepare 1/2 Teaspoon of Jeera (Cumin Seeds).
- It’s 1/2 Teaspoon of Amchur (Dry Mango Powder), optional.
- Prepare 2 Tablespoons of Dry Roasted Besan (Gram Flour), optional.
- It’s 2 Tablespoons of Cooking Oil.
The key ingredient to make this dish is the spicy bharwa (filling) masala that is made of garam masala, turmeric powder (haldi), red chillies, salt and other curry spices. bharwa bhindi recipe: firstly, slit the bhindi and stuff the prepared spice mix powder keep all the stuffed bhindi aside. further, heat oil in large kadai and splutter cumin seeds. Bharwa Bhindi is lady's fingers stuffed with a tangy and spicy masala mix. It is easy to make, vegan, and gluten-free. Here is how to make it.
Bharwa Bhindi step by step
- Wash a bunch of Bhindi thoroughly. Give it time to dry. If needed you can also use a clean cloth wipe the water. Remove the upper top and lower tip of the Bhindi. Use a knife to make a vertical cut i.e. make a slit across the Bhindi in it's entire length and now keep these slit Bhindi aside..
- Make Masala for purpose of filling the bhindi by adding Garam Masala, Salt, Haldi (Turmeric Powder), Dhaniya (Coriander) Powder, Saunf (Fennel Seeds), Jeera (Cumin seeds). Optionally dry mango Powder can be added to make it more tangy..
- Add 1 tablespoon of cooking oil in the Masala mixture to lubricate it and mix it well. You can also add dry roasted Besan (Gram Flour) in the Masala mixture..
- Next fill Masala in Bhindis through the slit. Put 1 tablespoon of oil in a frying pan or kadhai and add the stuffed bhindi to it. After gentle stirring cover the pan with a lid and after 2 minutes open the pan to stir/turn the Bhindi. This should be done delicately so that Bhindis remain intact and at the same time are not over burnt..
- Reduce flame or heat to low. Watch at interval of 1-2 minutes until Bhindi appears to become tender and turns dark green in colour. Take caution that Bhindis do not stock together or burn..
- Transfer Bharwa Bhindi to a serving bowl. Some people garnish it with coconut powder. Serve as a side dish with any Indian Bread like Roti, Paratha, Naan, Missi Roti etc. or with rice..
Everyday food for us is usually a dal, a dry sabzi, salad, and roti. Bharwa Bhindi (Stuffed Okra) is a popular Indian side dish where the okra is stuffed with spicy & tangy masala filling. This vegan & gluten free dish is a perfect side with Indian roti or paratha, or even great to enjoy as an appetizer. Bharwan means stuffed and Bhindi means Okra. bharwa bhindi An earthy, warm and delicious Indian dish, bharwa bhindi or stuffed okra. Our organic garden is giving us a good yield of fresh tender okra aka ladies finger over the past few weeks.