Bhindi Masala (okra Masala). Bhindi is a Hindi term for the vegetable, Okra & masala is an Indian curry base made with onions, tomatoes, spices and herbs. So Bhindi masala is okra cooked in a spicy onion tomato masala. Bhindi Masala A sub-continent classic, bhindi masala was a household favorite growing up.
Bhindi masala is a very popular and delicious vegan Indian recipe made with okra, tomatoes, onions, and a few basic spices. Like most of the Indians, Okra is one of my favorite vegetables. The origins of Bhindi Masala are unknown, but some say that it may have been adapted from a Middle Eastern Okra recipe. You can have Bhindi Masala (okra Masala) using 10 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Bhindi Masala (okra Masala)
- Prepare 1/2 kg of fresh okra.
- You need 1 of onion.
- Prepare 3-4 Tbsp of cooking oil.
- You need 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped.
- It’s 3 of chopped tomatoes.
- Prepare 2-3 of Whole fresh green chillies.
- Prepare 1 tsp of salt.
- Prepare 1 tsp of red chilli powder.
- You need 1/2 tsp of tumeric powder.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of kalongi (black onion seed).
Bhindi can be grown at home in small plant pots, ideally in the summers. Lightly spiced Okra in onion tomato curry. Bhindi Masala is a popular Indian dish made with okra, onion, tomatoes & spices! This stir fry is best enjoyed with warm rotis.
Bhindi Masala (okra Masala) instructions
- Wash and completely dry okra. I wash it the night before and leave it in a colander, covered with a kitchen towel to dry overnight. Chop the top and end off and cut the okra into small pieces..
- Next slice the onion and chop the tomatoes.
- Add the oil to a wide pan and stir fry the okra for about 2-3 minutes until soft. Ensure it doesn't brown and that it retains its colour. Remove onto a plate..
- In a seperate pan fry the onion in some oil until soft and brown. Remove and spread out on a kitchen towel.
- Now add some oil to a wide pan and add the chopped garlic. Stir for a few seconds and add a 1/4 cup of water..
- Next add the salt, red chilli powder, tumeric, and kalongi seeds and stir for a few minutes..
- Add the chopped tomatoes, whole green chillis and continue to stir. When the tomatoes are soft add the fried okra and continue to stir to mix all the ingredients together..
- Add the fried onions and stir. Cover with lid and allow to cook in its own steam (dumm) an a low heat for 5-10 minutes. Until all the ingredients have cooked and combined together. It should not be too soft or mushy..
- Garnish with fresh corriander and green chillis. Serve with fresh fluffy chapattis..
Okra or bhindi as it's called in Hindi is a very popular vegetable in India. Bhindi masala is a very delicious stir fry okra made with some basic spices along with tangy tomato. It is very simple to make and very flavourful when served with roti or phulka. In my family bhindi masala is served along tadka arhar daal and chapatis. In this bhindi masala recipe, I have shallow fried the bhindi to reduce the sliminess.