Oven-baked Potato Chips. You actually don't want too much oil, since the potatoes may burn easier. Use your hands to make sure every surface of every potato slice is covered in a thin layer of oil. Place the potato slices in one layer on the baking sheet.
Place potato slices side by side on hot baking sheets. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Brush the slices lightly with oil. You can cook Oven-baked Potato Chips using 3 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Oven-baked Potato Chips
- You need 3 medium of potatoes or sweet potatoes.
- It’s 1/4 cup of oil.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of seasoning salt (or lemon pepper).
Can you make chips in the oven? You can definitely make potato chips, and all kinds of veggie chips, in the oven. Starchy vegetables like potatoes, sweet potatoes, or butternut squash work best. Oven-fried homemade potato chips recipe, made with thin slices of Russet potatoes, butter, and salt.
Oven-baked Potato Chips instructions
- Preheat oven to 400°F..
- Thinly slice the potatoes (the thinner the better) and place in a sealable container or bag. Set aside..
- With a fork or whisk, mix together the oil and your desired spice (I prefer seasoning salt or lemon pepper). Note: If using sweet potatoes, spices are optional..
- Pour over the potatoes, stirring continually to prevent the spices from settling in the oil..
- Seal your container/bag of choice and shake until potatoes are thoroughly coated..
- Dump onto baking sheets. Aim for minimal overlap of chips. 2 large baking sheets needed. (Note: Line the baking sheets with parchment paper to aid in clean-up afterwards.).
- Place as close to the bottom element as possible (lower rack) and back at 400°F for 10-13 minutes..
- Remove and flip then return to the oven for another 10-13 minutes until lightly browned and crispy..
- Alternatively set oven to broil and place as close to the top element as possible (instead of flipping the chips). Monitor closely until lightly browned and crispy (about 5 minutes. Will depend on thickness of potatoes)..
- Remove from tray and serve with desired salads and meat. (Great to spruce up a hot dog or hamburger lunch)..
Photography Credit: Elise Bauer My father, being of German and Austrian descent, loves potatoes, in every form. Years ago, he discovered in an old issue of Gourmet that he could easily make his own potato chips, without having to deep fry them. Spread the potato slices in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Keep a careful eye to make sure that the potatoes do not brown and overcook. Seriously, it's the key to genuinely crispy baked potato chips, or crispy chips and fries of any kind.