Baked Macaroni and Cheese. Bring the water back to a. Needless to say, with a nickname like Cheese, her Baked Mac and Cheese is definitely the best around. Place the lightly cooked macaroni in the prepared baking dish.
Cook macaroni according to package directions for al dente; drain. In a large pot of boiling, salted water cook the pasta to al dente. While the pasta is cooking, in a separate pot, melt the butter. You can have Baked Macaroni and Cheese using 11 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Baked Macaroni and Cheese
- It’s of ingredients.
- Prepare 4 cup of uncooked elbow macaroni.
- It’s 3/4 cup of onion, finely diced (I cut this back to 1/2 cup).
- You need 3/4 cup of butter, divided.
- You need 6 tbsp of all-purpose flour.
- It’s 4 1/2 cup of milk.
- Prepare 4 cup of (16 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese. (You can substitute Velvetta if you'd like).
- You need 1 tsp of dry mustard.
- You need 1/4 tsp of ground black pepper.
- Prepare 1 tsp of salt.
- You need 3/4 cup of dry bread crumbs (I use panko).
In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package instructions; drain well. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Pour in the drained, cooked macaroni and stir to combine. Bring the water to a boil, then add the pasta and cook until it's al dente ( cooked, but firm).
Baked Macaroni and Cheese instructions
- On stovetop, Cook macaroni according to package directions to al dente. ALSO, preheat oven to 350°F..
- Meanwhile, in sauce pan, saute onion in 1/2 cup butter. Once butter is melted, wisk in flour. Cook on low heat until a light golden brown, making a roux. (I omitted the onion completely this time, just to experiment).
- Gradually add the milk, bring to a low boil. Stir constantly until thickened. About 5 minutes on a med/low..
- Add dry mustard, salt, pepper and cheese, stir until cheese is melted, and sauce is smooth. Mix cooked macaroni in..
- In a greased 9×13 inch pan, pour the macaroni and cheese in. In separate bowl, mix bread crumbs with remaining 1/4 cup melted butter. Sprinkle evenly on top. Place uncovered in oven for 30-35 minutes, or until heated through and bubbly..
- I finished it off by placing under broiler for a couple of minutes to lightly brown the panko bread crumbs. WATCH CAREFULLY! Or you'll have burned bread crumbs!.
- ***Got from taste of home***.
Make the cheese sauce by combining a fat (butter), and starch (flour), then whisking in the milk products. Cook the sauce until it's nice and thick. Add in shredded cheeses, stir well. The reason is that this is baked mac and cheese so the pasta will continue to cook in the homemade cheese sauce in the oven. I used elbow pasta but really, any tubular past will work.