Southern Style Cornbread Dressing. A great Southern-style dressing starts with cornbread that's baked in a skillet for a crisp, golden crust. Our simple recipe can be made up to a month ahead if stored in the freezer. For best results, prepare the cornbread up to two days in advance so it can dry out completely.
Use more of the reserved broth as necessary to attain desired consistency. My Grandma's Southern Cornbread Dressing Recipe is the perfect addition to any Thanksgiving table. This dressing features all the classic flavors, is moist on the inside and crisp on the outside. You can have Southern Style Cornbread Dressing using 21 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Southern Style Cornbread Dressing
- It’s of Buttermilk cornbread.
- You need 1 cup of corn meal.
- Prepare 1 cup of all-purpose flour, use rice flour for GF.
- It’s 3 tbsp of sugar.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of baking powder.
- Prepare 1 1/2 tsp of kosher salt.
- You need 2 of eggs lightly beaten.
- It’s 1 cup of buttermilk.
- You need 1 stick of unsalted butter, melted.
- It’s of Cornbread Stuffing.
- You need 1 of 14 oz bag herb season stuffing mix, Pepperidge Farm makes a great one, there are several GF options if you prefer.
- It’s 2 stick of unsalted butter.
- Prepare 2 cup of fine chopped onion.
- You need 1 1/2 cup of chopped celery.
- It’s 3 clove of minced garlic.
- It’s 5 cup of chicken or turkey stock.
- Prepare 5 of eggs lightly beaten.
- You need 1/4 cup of chopped fresh sage.
- Prepare 3 of sprigs thyme, leaves only.
- It’s 3 of tablespoons poultry seasoning blend.
- It’s 1 of salt and pepper to taste.
This cornbread stuffing is simple to make and can even be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge. Mia's southern-style cornbread dressing is definitely one of my favorite parts of our Thanksgiving traditions. Every time I see her she tells me how proud of me she is, or how pretty I look, or how smart I am. This Southern Style Cornbread Dressing is the perfect side dish for your next holiday gathering.
Southern Style Cornbread Dressing instructions
- for cornbread, grease a 10" cast iron skillet and place in oven and preheat to 425.
- in large mixing bowl combine dry ingredients for cornbread, in separate bowl whisk together wet ingredients and then combine with dry ingredients. stir until just incorporated.
- pour batter in preheated skillet and smooth to edges, bake until golden but not over dry, about 16 minutes. remove from skillet immediately to completely cool.
- for cornbread dressing, preheat oven to 350. in a LARGE stock pot, crumble cornbread and mix in stuffing mix and stir in poultry seasoning.
- saute onion and celery in one stick of butter until translucent and stir into cornbread mixture.
- melt remaining stick of butter and in a large mixing bowl combine butter, stock, eggs, sage, and thyme.
- add stock mixture to cornbread mixture, stir well to thoroughly combine, season with salt and pepper.
- pour in to a well greased 9 x 13 casserole dish and bake at 350 uncovered until set, about 45 minutes.
- If doing the gluten free version check in early.. It tends to brown faster… Almost had a disaster.
It's savory, flavorful and so easy! For our dressing, we use my Grandmother Verdie's recipe that she got from her own mother. It is a definite heirloom family recipe that my family treasures! It is so incredibly moist and tender and so delicious! Once you taste it, you'll understand why it is a must-have family favorite recipe..