Bharwa Bhindi [ gravy]. Spicy bharwa bhindi cooked in generous amount of oil enlightens taste buds in every bite. The key sub ingredient in making it best is spicy bharwan (filling) made of dry roasted besan, groundnuts, sesame seeds and various other curry spices. Bharwa Bhindi or Stuffed Okra is a popular Indian side dish in which bhindi (okra / lady finger) are stuffed with a tangy and spicy masala filling.
Bharwa Bhindi (Stuffed Okra) is a popular Indian side dish where the okra is stuffed with spicy & tangy masala filling. This vegan & gluten free dish is a perfect side with Indian roti or paratha, or even great to enjoy as an appetizer. Bharwan means stuffed and Bhindi means Okra. You can have Bharwa Bhindi [ gravy] using 22 ingredients and 14 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Bharwa Bhindi [ gravy]
- You need 8 of okra/ladies finger/bhindi.
- Prepare 2 of onions.
- Prepare 1 of tomato.
- You need 1 tbsp of ginger garlic paste.
- Prepare 1-2 of green chillies or as per taste.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of cumin seeds.
- It’s as required of coriander leaves.
- Prepare as per taste of salt.
- It’s as required of oil.
- Prepare For of stuffing:.
- It’s 3 1/2 tbsp of besan/chickpea flour.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of roasted peanuts.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of grated coconut.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of sesame seeds.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of ginger paste.
- You need 1 tsp of red chilli powder.
- You need 1 1/2 tbsp of coriander powder.
- It’s 2 tsp of garam masala.
- Prepare 1 pinch of hing / asafoetida.
- You need 1 1/2 tsp of aamchoor.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of goda masala.
- You need as per taste of salt.
Okra is one of the most loved vegetables and amongst all the popular Indian okra recipes, stuffed or bharwa bhindi and bhindi masala top the list. Other popular okra entree dishes are dahi bhindi (pan fried okra in a creamy yogurt gravy), tawa bhindi (sautéed okra with onions and tomatoes) and kurkuri bhindi (crisp fried spiced okra). Bharwa bhindi or stuffed bhindi is a lightly spiced, tasty recipe where okra is stuffed with spice powders and then slow-cooked. These succulently cooked okra taste good as a side with roti, paratha, naan or dal-rice.
Bharwa Bhindi [ gravy] step by step
- Wash and pat dry bhindi/okra..
- In a pan roast besan and keep aside..
- Dry roast peanuts and keep it aside..
- Pour a little bit of oil in a pan and add sesame seeds and roast it and then add grated coconut..
- Add in ginger and roast it..
- When the coconut become dry add in all the powdered ingredients for the stuffing and roast it until golden brown..
- Put the roasted peanut in a mixer and pulse it 3-4 times. Add in the besan and the roasted coconut mixture along with it and grind it..
- Make a slit in the middle of the bhindi and stuff this filling in it. [ keep some stuffing aside].
- Pour oil in a pan and saute this stuffed bhindi and cover it and cook for 2-3 minutes. fry it until dark green..
- Then pour oil in wok and crackle cumin seeds and add onions, green chilli and ginger. Saute it until the onions become brown..
- Add chopped tomatoes and leftover stuffing mix in this, mix well and cook for 3-4 minutes..
- Then add salt and enough water into it and cook until the tomatoes are done..
- Then add the fried okra/ bhindi into this and mix gently.cover and cook for 1-2 minutes..
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve..
Stuffed Ladysfinger Fry, a traditional and richest dry curry. Okras are stuffed with spices and then shallow frying them in oil makes them crispy and yummy dish. Bharwa Bhindi is a perfect dish which would be liked by all. By using a non-stick wide pan, we can use very less oil to fry the Bhindis. Restaurant-style Bhindi masala gravy with step-by-step pictures.