Bharali bhendi. In marathi the word 'bharli' means 'stuffed' and 'bhendi' is 'okra'. hence the name Bharli bhendi. This is A simple bhindi recipe to make. cooking the okra does not take much time. Its the preparation and stuffing that takes some time.
The basic ingredient for it's stuffing in Maharashtrian cuisine, is generally grated fresh coconuts. Bharli bhendi is a delectable Maharashtrian dish. 'Bharli' means stuffed, 'bhendi' means okra in Marathi, ' bhindi' in Hindi and ' bendakaya' in Telugu. Okra is also known as ladies fingers in India. You can cook Bharali bhendi using 9 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Bharali bhendi
- Prepare 3 tbsp of Oil.
- You need 20 of Okra or bhendi(small around 20).
- You need to taste of Salt.
- It’s 1/4 cup of Roasted peanut powder.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of Grated coconut.
- Prepare leaves of Coriander.
- Prepare 1/2 tbsp of Garam masala.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of Chilli powder.
- Prepare 1/2 tbsp of Turmeric powder.
Needless to say, okra is my favorite veggie, I love it in any form. If you translate it word by word, bharli=stuffed, bhendi=okra, bhaji=sabzi (dry vegetable preparation). I have seen many online sources says that maharashtrian stuffed okra has peanut and coconut as a stuffing just like my Gujarati bharwan bhindi while this recipe uses only coconut with onion and goda masala. Bharli bhendi is a stuffed okra dish that is most popular in the Maharashtra state of India.
Bharali bhendi instructions
- Make Stuffing masala (to be ground coarsely) 2 to 3 garlic chopped + ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta) + ¼ cup roasted peanuts (moongphali)..
- Without adding water coarsely grind and keep this mixture aside..
- In a plate, take the ground mixture along with grated coconut, 2 tsp chilli powder, 1/2 tsp garam masala powder and salt as per taste..
- Mix the stuffing mixture very well..
- Now stuff this mixture in each bhindi very well..
- Heat 3 tbsp oil and add the stuffed okra. stir the okra well. now cover the pan tightly with a lid and cook the bhindi. do check in between and if the mixture getting too browned, then sprinkle some water (about 1 to 2 tbsp water). stir, cover and continue to cook..
In this version, the stuffing is a mixture of roasted peanuts, toasted dried coconut, and plenty of. In my recipe of Bharwa Bhindi/ Bharli Bhendi / Stuffed Okra a special spice is used which gives it extra flavor and taste. Many English speaking countries call Okra as ladies' fingers, including India. Unlike my son, Bhindi or okra was one of the vegetables I hated, until I tried out dahi bhindi at one of my friends' place. Bharleli Bhendi chi bhaji is another delicious Maharashtrian recipe of okra or Bhendi.