Easy Osechi Microwaved Kuri Kinton (Chestnut Paste). Great recipe for Easy Osechi Microwaved Kuri Kinton (Chestnut Paste). I wanted to make kuri kinton in the microwave. You can also use plastic wrap to squeeze the paste to create pretty shapes!
Kuri Kinton (Candied Chestnuts and Sweet Potatoes) 栗きんとん. This Japan ushers in the New Year with osechi ryori—a set of various traditional dishes, each representing a desired outcome for the year ahead. If you're looking for an increase in your bank account, try attracting fortune with kuri kinton—a sweet-potato-and-chestnut dessert whose bright shade of yellow symbolizes fortune, or gold. You can have Easy Osechi Microwaved Kuri Kinton (Chestnut Paste) using 6 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Easy Osechi Microwaved Kuri Kinton (Chestnut Paste)
- It’s 350 grams of Sweet potato.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of Salt.
- Prepare 100 ml of Sugar.
- You need 200 ml of Boiling water.
- You need 100 grams of Candied chestnuts.
- It’s 100 ml of Syrup from the candied chestnuts.
Let's make this gold color food for a prosperous year ahead! For the final post on the Osechi Ryori (Japanese New Year Meal) series, I am sharing another popular dish called Kuri Kinton (Candied Chestnuts. Great recipe for Our Family Version of Kuri Kinton (sweet potato puree with chestnuts) for Osechi. If I have any leftovers, I bake a cake and use this as a Mont Blanc style cream on top.
Easy Osechi Microwaved Kuri Kinton (Chestnut Paste) step by step
- Peel the sweet potato thickly with a vegetable peeler until all parts are a nice even color (until imperfections are removed). Cut into 2cm cubes..
- Place in a microwave-safe bowl, and soak in water. Cut the candied chestnuts in half..
- Gently rinse the sweet potatoes and drain. Add salt and hot water, cover lightly with plastic wrap, and microwave at 600W for 7-8 minutes..
- Test the sweet potatoes with a toothpick. If it can be inserted easily, drain the hot water. Gently mash the sweet potatoes with a pestle or rolling pin..
- Add the sugar and syrup from the chestnuts, and gently stir the mixture with a rolling pin..
- Add the chestnuts and microwave uncovered at 600W for 4 minutes..
- Gently combine until even. Heat again in the microwave at 600W for 3 1/2-4 minutes, and it's done..
This Japanese sweet potato mashed with chestnuts (kuri kinton) is a staple of the New Year's (osechi ryori) feast in Japan. It features soft pureed sweet potato and chunks of chestnuts to create a balanced sweet but savoury side dish. ✿ Kuri Kinton 栗金飩 is one of the items of osechi-ryōri, traditional Japanese New Year/ oshougatsu foods. It is a sweetened and mashed Japanese sweet potato with sweet chestnuts. The characters for kinton literally mean 'group of gold', so with the golden color of this sweet, it represents a wish for wealth and financial success. Kuri Kinton and Kouhaku Namasu Shiwasu (December, known as the busiest month of the year) has passed so quickly.