Rustic Sweet Potato Pie. Try Creating This Sweet Potato Pie With Marshmallow Meringue. A simple, rustic pie great for holidays in the autumn and winter! Add up to double more sugar if you really like it sweet!
Break apart sweet potato in a bowl. Add butter, and mix well with mixer. Stir in sugar, milk, eggs, nutmeg, cinnamon and vanilla. You can have Rustic Sweet Potato Pie using 17 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Rustic Sweet Potato Pie
- It’s 2 of medium sweet potatoes (650-700 g or 1 1/2 lbs raw. It's 2 cups/450-500 g after mashing).
- Prepare 1/2 cup (90 g) of sugar.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of yoghurt (120 ml).
- Prepare 1 tsp of vanilla extract or oil.
- Prepare 1 Tbsp of lemon juice.
- You need 1 tsp of lemon zest (optional).
- It’s 1 tsp of ground cinnamon.
- You need 3-4 dashes of ground cloves.
- You need 1/4 tsp of ground nutmeg.
- Prepare 2 of eggs.
- You need of ********.
- Prepare 1 of unbaked pie crust or make your own with the ingredients below:.
- You need 150 g of flour.
- You need 100 g of butter.
- Prepare 50 g (50 ml) of ice water.
- Prepare 1 pinch of salt (not needed if using salted butter).
- You need 1 tsp of sugar.
Beat on medium speed until mixture is smooth. With a fork, pierce the sweet potatoes all over. There are many recipes out there, but we like this one from Nicole Rucker because of it's rustic take on it with a wide lattice and chunky, interesting texture. Sweet Potato Pie Recipe: You'll need these ingredients.
Rustic Sweet Potato Pie instructions
- For the homemade pie dough (if you have one already start on Step 4): Put flour and salt (leave out if using salted butter) into a large bowl. Cut butter into small cubes and add to flour. You can see more detailed recipe for pie dough in my recipe here: https://cookpad.com/us/recipes/198326 .
- Rub in the butter into the flour until butter is broken up into pea-sized pieces and mixed throughout..
- Mix in sugar and gradually mix in the cold water until the dough begins to come together. Knead into a ball. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least one hour..
- To roast potatoes (you can boil too, though I think the taste is nicer if roasted): Preheat oven to 200C/400F. Peel and cut sweet potatoes into cubes. Drizzle with 2 Tbsp vegetable/canola oil..
- Bake for 40 minutes (turn and mix halfway through so it baked evenly) or until fork tender..
- Mash with a fork. (After mashing I used 2 cups or 450-500 g).
- Add sugar, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, lemon juice and vanilla..
- Mix in yoghurt. Taste again just in case and adjust any seasoning or sweetness. Lastly, mix in the eggs until smooth..
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C. Roll out pie dough if using homemade one. (Again, see details in my basic pie dough recipe here: https://cookpad.com/us/recipes/198326).
- When ready to bake, fill the pie crust with the filling.Smooth out – add some pie crust decorations if you like :).
- Bake for about 1 hour until set. Let cool completely before enjoying..
You'll find the full step-by-step, photo illustrated recipe for our Basic Pie Crust Recipe here. A sweet potato pie tastes like wonderful warm spices, cozy notes of vanilla, and, of course, sweet potatoes. Its texture is firm and luscious, and its flavor confidently autumn. Unlike a canned sweet potato pie, this homemade version takes advantage of the natural sweetness and smooth texture of fresh sweet potatoes. "An old-fashioned, deep south sweet potato pie that's creamy, delicious and full of flavor. Using brown butter and a hint of citrus to kick it up a notch without losing that old school flavor!