Sweet Cornbread. If you like sweet cornbread, this is the recipe for you! My mom made this for me as a child, and now it's my family's favorite. This recipe came from stephskitchen.com and it's wonderful.
This moist and fluffy sweet cornbread is one of my favorites to make during the fall. It pairs perfectly with a hot bowl of chili. I finally got around to make a video on how to make my homemade sweet cornbread. You can cook Sweet Cornbread using 11 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Sweet Cornbread
- Prepare 1 1/4 cup of fine yellow cornmeal.
- You need 1 cup of plain flour.
- It’s 1/3 cup of butter (melted and if desired, browned).
- Prepare 1/2 cup of white sugar.
- It’s 1 tsp of salt.
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of baking powder.
- It’s 2 of small eggs.
- Prepare 1 cup of semi-skimmed milk.
- You need 1/4-1/3 cup of tinned sweetcorn (pan fried in a teaspoon of butter for extra caramelisation desired).
- You need of Butter.
- Prepare of Maple syrup/honey.
This sweet cornbread recipe is so delicious… it's the best cornbread recipe I've come across and, trust me, I've looked and cooked and eaten. The top crust is crunchy while the rest is moist. SWEET CORNBREAD that turns out perfectly dense and sweet every time. If you love northern style cornbread, this will quickly become your go to recipe!
Sweet Cornbread instructions
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C..
- Grease or line a 9-inch cake pan..
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, salt, baking powder and sugar..
- Add the melted butter, milk and the eggs..
- Stir until almost combined then add the sweetcorn and mix until combined. Do not mix – there may be a couple of lumps!.
- Pour into the greased cake pan and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a knife inserted comes out clean. The cornbread should have a lovely golden crust..
- Serve warm with salted butter and maple syrup..
Alright, everyone, I'm about to get controversial. This Sweet Cornbread recipe comes from a family cookbook that is the "best of the best," specifically from the exquisite Wendy Bagley and it is the best cornbread recipe I have ever tried. This sweet cornbread is moist and fluffy in the middle, with delicious crispy edges. You can bake it in a square baking dish or in a cast iron skillet. I've done both and the cornbread turns out so delicious.