Hot N Sour Soup. Read Customer Reviews & Find Best Sellers. Dissolve the cornstarch in the water and stir until smooth. The spicy hot comes from the white pepper, and the sour comes from the vinegar.
Luckily, you don't have to visit your local Chinese restaurant to enjoy a hearty bowl of hot and sour soup. You'll be surprised at just how easy it is to make! How To Make Hot and Sour Soup: To make this hot and sour soup recipe, simply… Make your cornstarch slurry. You can have Hot N Sour Soup using 22 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Hot N Sour Soup
- Prepare of Meat and Vegetables.
- You need 1 tbsp of cooking oil (not olive oil).
- You need 4 oz of Chicken or pork, thinly sliced (cooked or raw, optional).
- Prepare 1/2 cup of chopped mushroom, fresh.
- You need 1/2 cup of carrot, julienned or sliced thin.
- It’s 1/2 cup of shredded cabbage (optional).
- You need 1 tbsp of soy sauce.
- It’s 1 each of Thai pepper, whole or chopped (optional).
- It’s 1 of or.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of red pepper flakes.
- You need of Broth.
- Prepare 5 cup of chicken stock or broth.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of soy sauce.
- It’s 3 tbsp of vinegar such as apple cider, white, or rice.
- It’s 4 oz of extra firm tofu, cut into bite size pieces..
- You need 1 tbsp of cornstarch.
- It’s 2 tbsp of water.
- You need of Finishes.
- It’s 2 each of eggs, beaten.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of white pepper (optional).
- It’s 1/2 tsp of sesame oil (use a quality brand).
- It’s 2 each of green onion, fresh, sliced.
Hot and sour soup can be found on any takeout menu or Chinese buffet line in the US. It ranges in quality and flavor from awesomely delicious to lukewarm, tasteless, and gloopy. There was a time when I never thought to make it myself and resigned myself to the luck of the draw when it came to ordering it. Hot and Sour soup is a Chinese soup that's savoury, spicy and tangy.
Hot N Sour Soup instructions
- Meat and Vegetables: Heat the oil in a medium saucepan on high heat. Note: olive oil has a much lower smoke point than other oils. Not recomended. Note: if using cooked meat, skip to step 2. Add meat if raw. Cook and stir for about 5 min or until mostly done..
- Note: If you want to reduce the heat, wait to add thai pepper or red pepper flakes until step 7. Add mushroom, carrot, cabbage, and Thai pepper or red pepper flakes. Cook for another 5 min or until carrots are softened slightly..
- If using cooked meat, add now. Add 1 tablespoon of soy sauce. Stir until the mixture is coated with the soy sauce..
- Add chicken broth or stock..
- Note: Read this step completely before doing it. Add remaining soy sauce and vinegar, one tbs at a time, alternating between soy sauce and vinegar. Taste after each tablespoon addition to ensure that the flavor is to your liking. It should have a balanced flavor between salty and sour (you should be able to taste both equally). Adjust as necessary by adding more or less soy sauce or vinegar..
- Combine cornstarch and water in a separate bowl or cup..
- Add tofu and cornstarch/water mixture. If you haven't aready, add the Thai pepper or red pepper flakes now for less heat..
- Bring to a full boil. The broth will thicken slightly..
- Critical step: After it reaches a boil, remove from heat for about 30 seconds. While stirring slowly, slowly drizzle the beaten eggs into the soup. Note: if the broth is too hot, the eggs will overcook and disintegrate, making a milky broth instead of long ribbons like it's supposed to. Don't worry, it still makes a tasty soup, although the presentation won't be as great..
- Keep the heat off, but finish the soup by adding the sesame oil and white pepper. Stir to blend..
- Provide sliced green onion for garnish. Serve..
The broth is thickened and it's filled with mushrooms, tofu, bamboo shoots and silky egg ribbons. The flavour and textures in this soup are an addictive combination, making it a firm Chinese restaurant favourite! What goes in Hot and Sour Soup You Asked for It – Hot and Sour Soup! The Chinese hot and sour soup is usually meat-based, and often contains ingredients such as day lily buds, wood ear fungus, bamboo shoots, and tofu, in a broth that is sometimes flavored with pork blood. I love hot n sour soup especially if I have one of those really bad sinus or chest colds.