Simple Cabbage & Bean Soup with Pork. Cut the cabbage in half from its top down through its core. Place the cut-side down on your cutting board, then slice it as thinly as possible around the core so that you have fine ribbons. Low in calories, but high in fiber, phytonutrients, and minerals, cabbage is a vegetable you're probably taking for granted.
This is a very basic (but flavorful) cabbage recipe. If you wanna add a lil spunk to your cabbage throw in some sauteed onions, garlic, red pepper flakes, and smoked meat. Cabbage is a versatile vegetable that can be cooked as a side dish or as part of the main dish. You can have Simple Cabbage & Bean Soup with Pork using 14 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Simple Cabbage & Bean Soup with Pork
- Prepare 1 pound of pork, cut into 1/2" cubes (I like shoulder, but you can use whatever cut you like.).
- You need 1/2 Tablespoon of oil.
- You need 1 of small onion, diced.
- It’s 2 of large carrots, peeled and cut into roughly 1/2"pieces (I find the peel can sometimes impart a slightly bitter flavor.).
- It’s 1 of large stem of celery, diced.
- Prepare 4 cloves of garlic, crushed.
- Prepare 1 Tablespoon of tomato paste + 1 teaspoon sugar OR 2 Tablespoons ketchup if you don't have tomato paste.
- It’s 1 of bay leaf.
- You need 1 teaspoon of dried thyme.
- Prepare 8 cups of liquid (any mixture of water and unsalted stock you like).
- It’s 2.5 teaspoons of kosher salt to start.
- Prepare 1 Tablespoon of apple cider or distilled white vinegar.
- Prepare 6 cups of chopped cabbage (roughly 1"pieces), about half a large head.
- Prepare 2 (15 oz.) of cans (OR one 28 oz. can) unsalted white beans, drained. (I used Northern. You can also use Navy or Cannellini.).
It doesn't need much to make it tasty, either. Then, add shredded cabbage, salt, pepper and saute for a few minutes until the cabbage is tender and that's it. Cabbage Breakfast Burritos If you're cutting carbs, you have to give this breakfast burrito a try. Add the cabbage, garlic, red pepper flakes, and the salt.
Simple Cabbage & Bean Soup with Pork instructions
- In a large pot or stockpot, bring the oil up to medium high heat and brown the pork..
- Add onions, carrots, celery, and garlic and saute for 2 or 3 minutes until the onions just start to turn translucent..
- Add bay leaf, thyme, and tomato paste (or ketchup), and give everything few good stirs. (This will give the tomato a chance to caramelize a bit.).
- Add liquid, salt, vinegar, and cabbage, give everything another few good stirs, turn the heat down to medium, and cook, covered, for 15 to 20 minutes..
- Turn heat down to medium low, add beans, stir them in, and cook, covered, for another 20 to 25 minutes. Adjust seasoning before the last 5 minutes of this cooktime to give all flavors a chance to meld..
- Enjoy! :).
It might seem like too much cabbage for the pan, but as it cooks, the cabbage will wilt down. If the leaf is tough, it will be easier to do this if you make a V shaped incision & remove a part of the coarser spine. This simple recipe for red cabbage and carrot coleslaw that's tossed in a spicy and creamy dressing — perfect for serving alongside tacos. Roasted Cabbage Slaw with Hazelnuts & Lemon. This tasty slaw makes use of both red and Savoy cabbage, and the roasting brings out the sweet flavor of both varieties.