Japanese Style Baby Back Ribs. Remove the silvery skin from the back of the ribs by sliding the pointed end of a meat thermometer under the skin and pulling up. Pat the ribs dry with paper towels and cut into individual ribs. Place ribs on a rack in a small shallow roasting pan.
Brush ribs with more paste, add rest of grapefruit juice over ribs. To make the marinade, bring the cooking liquid to a boil over high heat and boil until it. These Japanese style baby back ribs are moist but dry as far as no sauce will be left to pour over. You can cook Japanese Style Baby Back Ribs using 18 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Japanese Style Baby Back Ribs
- It’s of Miso Marinade.
- Prepare 1 cup of dark miso paste.
- It’s 1/3 cup of brown sugar.
- It’s 1 cup of sake.
- Prepare 1 tsp of cayenne pepper.
- Prepare 1 Tbsp of sesame or peanut oil.
- Prepare 2 Tbsp of white wine or champagne vinegar.
- You need 1 tsp of Yuzu paste (optional).
- Prepare 1 Tbsp of soy sauce.
- You need of Zest and juice of 2 grapefruits.
- You need 3 of garlic cloves, minced.
- It’s of Baby Back Ribs.
- Prepare 2 of baby back ribs (membrane removed) (about 2.5 pounds).
- It’s 2 of onions sliced in rings.
- It’s 3 of green onions chopped.
- You need 2 of oranges sliced (total 8 round slices).
- Prepare of Miso Marinade.
- You need 1 cup of water.
They are also tender but not fall off the bone tender, more like Chinese buffet spare ribs which I find delicious! Decrease the heat so the liquid gently simmers. It's a good idea to place aluminum foil on the bottom rack to catch any drippings because they can cause fire flare-ups on the coals. Asian ribs are a full-flavored BBQ dinner that will have your family raving.
Japanese Style Baby Back Ribs instructions
- Miso Marinade : in a bowl mix the dark miso paste, brown sugar, cayenne, vinegar, Yuzu, sake and mix..
- In a separate bowl mix: Grapefruit juice (save 1/2 cup) and zest, garlic, soy sauce, green onion.
- Mix Bowl 1 and Bowl 2, then add paste to ribs and more green onions (save about 1/2 cup of paste in separate bowl). Seal with plastic and refrigerate overnight..
- Preheat oven at 300. Line a tray with foil, place ribs bone side down and oranges and onion under and around them. Brush ribs with more paste, add rest of grapefruit juice over ribs. Place 1 cup of water around ribs..
- Cook for 2 hrs, in last 30 minutes brush more miso paste sauce and add more grapefruit juice. When done let cool before slicing,put a final brush of paste when slicing. Garnish with more sliced green onion..
This sweet and spicy BBQ ribs recipe is the perfect slow-smoked meal that you can gather around the fire pit & enjoy each other's company as they cook. Featured in the New York Times article "Mastering Chinese-Style Ribs" at Home by Julia Moskin. See here for her tweak to the recipe, and a great video. I created this baby back ribs recipe as my Father's Day gift to my husband Gary, who loves ribs more than any one else I know, with the exception of my own father. Lightly season the ribs with the five-spice powder so it forms a light crust.