Basbousa(semolina cake). Basbousa is an Egyptian semolina cake drenched in syrup. Today, I'm sharing my aunt Maha's special recipe! At Comal in Denver, Vian Alnidawi and Sara Nassr have become known for their basbousa, a Middle Eastern semolina cake that's flecked with coconut and soaked in a sweet syrup.
In Egypt this is the main dessert served during the feasts and holidays for both Christians and Muslims. Cream together butter and sugar in a mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, combine semolina, baking powder, and baking soda. You can cook Basbousa(semolina cake) using 15 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Basbousa(semolina cake)
- You need of Syrup.
- You need 2 1/4 cups of sugar.
- Prepare 1 1/2 cups of water.
- You need of Juice from 1 lemon (or 2 tablespoon orange juice).
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of honey.
- Prepare of Cake.
- It’s 2 cups of semolina.
- You need 1 cup of sugar.
- You need 1 stick of butter, softened.
- It’s 1 cup of whole milk.
- Prepare 1 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- You need 1 tablespoon of baking powder.
- It’s 1 tablespoon of baking soda.
- It’s 2 of eggs.
- You need of Blanched split almonds.
View Suggestions BACK TO TOP See all Scripps Networks Digital. In a separate bowl, combine semolina, baking powder, and baking soda. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the butter and egg mixture. Pour mixture into baking dish and smooth with spoon.
Basbousa(semolina cake) instructions
- Prepare syrup first. Dissolve sugar in water in a medium saucepan. Add lemon juice and bring to boil. Once the syrup begins to boil, add in honey. Reduce heat and allow to slowly boil for about 8-10 min. Remove from heat and set aside..
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease and flour a 9×12 baking dish..
- Cream together butter and sugar in a mixing bowl. Add eggs and vanilla..
- In separate bowl, combine semolina, baking powder and baking soda. Slowly add to butter and egg mixture. Stir in milk.
- Pour mixture into baking dish and smooth with spoon. Take a butter knife and make diamond shapes. Place an almond in the center of each diamond..
- Bake for 25 min. Remove cake from oven and pour syrup over cake until no more can be absorbed. Allow to cool.
Mix the semolina, sugar, and baking powder. In another bowl, melt the ghee in the microwave and mix in the honey until fully incorporated. Pour the ghee into the bowl with the semolina mixture and mix until all the semolina is incorporated. Add in the yogurt and mix until you have a squishy dough. A delicious coconut, yogurt and semolina/farina cake that gets sprinkled with nuts and drizzled with syrup to put the final seal of perfection.