Pork Carnitas. Heat the vegetable oil in a large Dutch oven over high heat. Season the pork shoulder with salt, then arrange the pork in the Dutch oven. Add the onion, garlic, lime juice, chili powder, oregano, and cumin.
Squeeze over the juice of the orange and add the two halves. Pork for Carnitas: Carnitas meat is best when made from a pork shoulder roast. Tough and flavorful, this economical cut of meat takes especially well to braising on low heat in the slow cooker. You can have Pork Carnitas using 12 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Pork Carnitas
- You need 2 pounds of trimmed pork butt into 1 inch thick slices it is about 4-5 large slices (all slices should be even).
- Prepare 2 teaspoons of salt.
- It’s 1/2 teaspoon of pepper.
- You need 3 tablespoons of sugar.
- You need 11/2 teaspoons of dried oregano.
- It’s 11/2 teaspoons of ground cumin.
- You need 1 of large white onion, cut into wedges.
- It’s 1 head of garlic, smashed peeled and roughly chopped.
- It’s 2 of limes, juiced.
- Prepare 1 cup of orange juice.
- It’s 1 cup of chicken stock.
- You need 1 of bay leaves.
After several hours, the fat has dissolved and the pork becomes fall apart tender. Best Pork Cut for Pork Carnitas – for ultimate juicy pulled pork full of flavour, you can't beat pork shoulder, aka pork butt. Bone in or out, it needs to be skinless so it can be rubbed with the Carnitas seasoning Carnitas seasoning – rub pork with a simple spice mix of oregano, cumin, salt and pepper. An Authentic Pork Carnitas Recipe that is completely addictive!
Pork Carnitas step by step
- Mix the dry seasoning together then coat the 1 inch thick slices of pork..
- Mix together the lime juice, orange juice, chicken stock and pour over the pork. Let sit for 20 minutes..
- In a baking pan or Dutch oven add the onion, garlic and bay leaf, on the bottom and place the pork and pour liquid over on top..
- Cover and cook in a 350 degree oven for 2 hours or (until the meat falls apart)..
- Remove pork and shred with two forks (DO NOT DISCARD THE LIQUID!).
- Strain and save the liquid. (Note the onions and the garlic did taste good and you may want to eat them??).
- TO CRISP ON STOVE: Heat about 1 tablespoon of oil in a nonstick pan or cast iron skillet over high heat. When pan is hot, add pork and sear until just beginning to crisp. Pour over about 1/2 cup of left over liquid, and continue cooking until the juices begin to reduce down and the meat is nice and crispy..
- TO SERVE: 1. Season with a little extra salt and pepper if desired. Pour over more of the juices once the meat has crisped for added flavor, just before serving! Serve in Tacos, Burritos, or in a salad!.
First it cooks slowly in a crock pot, on the stove, or in your slow cooker before you put it into the oven to become crispy and caramelized. This Mexican pulled pork is the perfect filling for tacos, burritos or nachos. Then they get broiled in the oven until crispy on the outside! They are the perfect addition to tacos, burritos, salads and quesadillas. Carnitas originated in the state of Michoacan of Mexico, and in its most original and authentic form, is pork meat…fried in pork fat.