Old fashion sponge cake. Simple Sponge Cake Dusted with Powdered Sugar Grandma's old fashioned sponge cake recipes make versatile light-textured cakes that you can easily layer for special occasions. They are great for making sponge cupcakes too. Serve these homemade cakes with whipped cream and jam, preserved fruit, or plain with fresh berries in season.
It's back to basics time on the blog this morning as we feature a very simple but very versatile recipe for a simple old fashioned sponge cake. This is an old fashioned sponge cake with a lemon flavor. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. You can cook Old fashion sponge cake using 11 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Old fashion sponge cake
- It’s 75 g of vegetable oil.
- It’s 110 g of cake flour.
- It’s 2 tbs of cocoa powder.
- You need 75 g of Orange Juice.
- You need 15 g of golden syrup.
- Prepare 6 of yolks.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of salt.
- You need 6 of egg whites.
- Prepare 120 g of -150g sugar (I use 100g and decorated with icing sugar).
- You need 1/8 tsp of cream of tartar (optional).
- It’s of Line the base of an 8″ round pan and grease the sides (can use spring form pan).
Immediately invert the pan; cool completely. Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate. Sponge Cake Recipe is a true sponge cake, light and delicate, that is often used as a base for desserts such as Strawberry Shortcake.
Old fashion sponge cake step by step
- 1. Heat oil in a saucepan on low fire until just simmering. If you have a thermometer it’s around 65oC ~70oC..
- Remove and immediately add the flour and stir with a whisk until smooth. Add syrup, orange juice, salt. Stir to combine. Add egg one by one and mix until smooth and runny. Set aside..
- Beat egg white with cream of tartar until foamy then gradually add sugar to beat until firm peak form..
- Add 1/3 of the meringue into the yolk batter and using the hand whisk to mix until combined. Pour this mixture to the meringue again and whisk quickly. At last, using a spatula to fold up the batter until no more yolk batter can be seen..
- Devide the batter in 2. Mix with 2 tbs of cocoa powder. Pour in 2 different measuring cups. Pour equally white batter and cocoa batter in to the pan at the same time..
- Use a tooth skewer to draw marble pattern..
- Preheat the oven with only the upper heating coil at 170oC. Put a tray of hot water at the lowest rack of the oven. Put the baking pan on to the 2nd rack of the oven. Bake steam bath about 40’. After 40 minutes, reduce the temperature to 150 degree with both the upper and lower heating, for another 30’ minutes..
- Remove the cake with the pan from oven and drop them to the table top from a height of about 8 cm. This is to prevent the cake from excessive shrinkage during cooling. Run a spatula round the edge of the warm cake to dislodge it from the mould. Allow the cake to cool down completely before cutting..
- Best served after 2 hours of refrigeration!.
- Cut in to slices!.
- So moist!.
- Love the soft texture!.
Top with antioxidant rich fruit such as berries or yogurt. Dear Junior Girls: My favorite cake is the old-fashioned sponge, made of eggs, the whites lashed to a stiff froth, the yolks beaten thoroughly with cups of pulverized sugar, a pinch of salt, a slight flavor of almond. Into these stir __ cups of flour – first a little flour, then a little of the white froth – and pour and pour the foaming. Everyone should have a classic vanilla sponge cake in their repertoire, and it took me many years to find the "perfect" one. This is a classic, simple Vanilla Sponge Cake that is made with basic ingredients – eggs, milk, butter, flour, sugar, vanilla, baking powder and salt.