'V' Scottish Dundee Cake. Scottish Dundee Cake The Scottish Dundee Cake is a great alternative to the rich Christmas Cake or Plum Cake. This is the cake if you want a lighter, fluffy crumb and a moist cake that works as a great holiday dessert or an everyday tea cake. This cake is simpler to make but checks all the right boxes for a great family style dessert!
Dundee Cake is a famous traditional Scottish fruitcake with cherries, sultanas and almonds, and a sweet glaze. Dundee cake is a traditional Scottish fruit cake with a rich and delicious flavor. Absolutely perfect for your Christmas table!! You can cook 'V' Scottish Dundee Cake using 18 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of 'V' Scottish Dundee Cake
- You need 180 grams of golden raisins (sultanas).
- It’s 125 grams of finely chopped figs.
- Prepare 180 grams of currants.
- It’s 1 of grated zest of one lemon.
- Prepare 3 tbsp of whiskey.
- It’s 8 of candied cherries quartered.
- Prepare 50 grams of candied lemon peel, finely chopped.
- Prepare 50 grams of candied orange peel finely chopped.
- It’s 250 grams of all purpose(plain)flour.
- You need 1 tsp of baking powder.
- Prepare 180 grams of butter.
- It’s of cup/125g sugar.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of honey.
- It’s 3 of large eggs.
- You need 75 ml of milk.
- It’s 1 of Blanched almonds, for decorating.
- It’s 1 of confectioners'(icing sugar) for dusting.
- Prepare 1 of marzipan (optional) for covering.
Let me know what you think in. Traditional Dundee Cake is actually a form of light fruit cake, decorated with Blanched Almonds on the top and is a very good alternative to typical rich fruit cake. Another important thing about the recipe is there is no need to soak dry fruits in alcohol to make this version of fruitcake. This Dundee cake recipe uses candied fruit peel and candied cherries to make a delicious version of a Scottish Christmas favorite.
'V' Scottish Dundee Cake instructions
- Preheat oven to 180c/350f gas mark 4 grease and line a 10 inch /26cm spring-release cake pan (tin).
- Mix the raisins (sultanas) figs and currants with the lemon zest, whiskey and candied fruits in a large bowl and leave to stand.
- Meanwhile, sift the flour and baking powder together, cream the butter with the sugar and honey until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in the eggs and then beat in the flour, milk and soaked dried fruit. turn the batter into a prepared cake pan and smooth the top.Decorate the top of the cake with whole almonds.
- Bake in oven for 30 mins, then reduce the oven temperature to 150c/300f gas mark 2 and bake for a further 90 mins. cover the top with baking parchment if it browns to quickly. cool in the pan for 15 mins then take out and leave to cool completely..
- Before serving, dust with confectioners (icing) sugar and cover the sides of the cake with marzipan if wished.
- Serves about 12.
A traditional Dundee cake comes from Dundee, Scotland. The cake is distinctive alongside other rich fruit cakes by circles of blanched almonds on the surface of the cake. There are many versions of the Dundee Cake, all claiming to be "the one," but usually any lovely rich fruit cake will do the job. Dundee cake is a popular traditional Scottish fruit cake. Currants, raisins, sultanas, ground almonds and cherries are mainly used to prepare this fruit loaded cake.