Celebration (Xmas) Fruit Cake. In another bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Wash the fruits and drain through a sieve. Tip into a bowl, and pour the brandy over the mixture.
This has been used for Weddings, Christenings as well as Christmas and other celebrations. It takes a bit of time to prepare and cook, but well worth it!! Grease and line a deep cake tin with non-stick baking paper or use a non-stick cake tin. You can have Celebration (Xmas) Fruit Cake using 21 ingredients and 13 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Celebration (Xmas) Fruit Cake
- It’s of Dry Stuff.
- Prepare 350 grams of Plain Flour.
- Prepare 2 teaspoon of Cinnamon.
- You need 2 teaspoons of Mixed Spice.
- Prepare of Fruits.
- You need 110 grams of Chopped Candied Peel.
- Prepare 110 grams of Glacé Cherries, cut in half.
- It’s 2 of Lemons Grated rind of.
- Prepare 2 of Oranges, Grated rind of.
- It’s 1 Kilogram of Dried Fruits, (500grams sultanas, 500grams Seedless Raisins).
- It’s of Nuts (Optional!!).
- Prepare 110 grams of Almonds.
- It’s 110 grams of Walnuts.
- You need 110 grams of Hazelnuts.
- It’s of Wet Stuff.
- You need 4 of large or 5 medium Eggs.
- Prepare 2 tablespoons of Brandy/Rum Or Milk !.
- It’s of Sticky Stuff.
- Prepare 300 grams of Butter (or best Margarine).
- It’s 300 grams of Moist Dark Brown Sugar.
- Prepare 3 of level tablespoons Black Treacle(or Golden Syrup).
Wash the fruits and drain through a sieve. Tip into a bowl, and pour the brandy over the mixture. Lightly grease two loaf pans with butter and dust lightly with flour, you may also wish to use baking spray. In a small bowl, mix the sugar and zest together until well combined, make sure the sugar has really rubbed in with the zest.
Celebration (Xmas) Fruit Cake step by step
- Prepare tins as follows. Double layer of grease proof paper, draw around the bottom of your tin. Grease paper, then cut to draw line, fit to bottom of tin..
- Double layer of grease proof paper, enough to go around sides of tin. Grease and fit to sides of tin, overlapping the bottom layer.
- In a very large pan or bowl, mix all the dried fruits, rind of oranges and lemons, candied peel, cherries. Plus all the various nuts. Mix until evenly distributed..
- In a bowl, cream the butter, sugar and Black Treacle together..
- In another bowl, put the plain flour, cinnamon, mixed spices and salt. Use a whisk to gently mix it all until even..
- Break the eggs into a measuring jug or large cup, add Brandy/ Rum or milk and whisk lightly..
- Adding a little at a time, add egg mix and flour mix to the butter- sugar mix and combine until all has been used and smooth..
- Add this mix into the fruit- nut mix in the large bowl, mixing until everything is coated and even. The mix should be sticky and not very wet..
- Adding a bit at a time, put mix into your selected tins to 3/4 full. Dip your hand into a bowl of clean water and smooth down the cake mix, until raised slightly at the sides, gentle dip in the middle. (The cake will rise more in the center and you will end up with a level top!) Don’t worry if there is a small puddle, this will stop the top burning!.
- Cook in a moderate oven(mark3. 160C. 325deg) for about 1 1/2 hours. Then turn down heat to Mark1-2, 140-150 C, 275-300deg, for a further two hours..
- Leave in tin about 30 minutes to cool. Then take out of the tin gently, into a wire rack to finish cooling completely before taking off the paper..
- This cake can be stored in an air-tight container for several weeks, or frozen, if required!.
- If keeping for Xmas, a little Brandy or Rum, dribbled over the top, after piercing with a cocktail stick, after a month or so, then reseal..
Mary Berry's rich traditional Christmas cake recipe is filled to the brim with fruit, as well as almonds, brandy and treacle. Fruitcake (or fruit cake or fruit bread) is a cake made with candied or dried fruit, nuts, and spices, and optionally soaked in spirits. In the United Kingdom, certain rich versions may be iced and decorated. Fruitcakes are typically served in celebration of weddings and Christmas. Three layers of perfectly moist chocolate cake are filled with fluffy white frosting (with a secret ingredient!) and sparkling sugared cranberries.