Catalan Three kings' cake. Great recipe for Catalan Three kings' cake. There are many variants, but this one is the classic one. The effort is totally worth it!
Whoever finds the Christ Child figure in the cake is crowned and becomes the 'king' or 'queen' of the banquet. Whoever finds the bean has to pay for next year's roscón. On this day it is the tradition to eat a cake called "Tortell de Reis". You can cook Catalan Three kings' cake using 27 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Catalan Three kings' cake
- Prepare of Sourdough.
- You need 2 grams of fresh yeast.
- You need 90 grams of bread flour.
- Prepare 60 ml of whole milk.
- Prepare of Dough.
- You need 1 large of egg.
- You need 350 grams of bread flour.
- It’s 80 of granulated sugar.
- You need 15 ml of cointreau.
- You need 15 ml of orange flower water.
- Prepare 7 grams of fresh yeast.
- It’s 60 ml of whole milk.
- It’s 70 grams of unsalted butter.
- It’s of Marzipan.
- You need 75 grams of groung almond.
- It’s 25 grams of ground hazelnut.
- It’s 15 grams of ground walnut.
- It’s 15 grams of ground coconut.
- Prepare 85 grams of powdered sugar.
- It’s 1 of egg yolk.
- Prepare of Topping.
- It’s 60 ml of pomace brandy (ex. grappa).
- You need 50 grams of sugar.
- It’s 1 of eggs.
- Prepare 30 grams of almond.
- Prepare 1 of box of dried and candied fruit.
- Prepare ml of vegetable oil.
It is a round shaped cake filled with marzipan or whipped cream. Within the "Tortell de Reis" two hidden surprises can be found: a dried field bean, and a tiny figurine of one of the three kings. The lucky one who gets the figurine is allowed to wear a paper crown. The Three Kings Cake is especially delicious served warm alongside some Mexican hot chocolate for dipping.
Catalan Three kings' cake instructions
- Sourdough: Warm the milk a bit. Mix the yeast and the flour. Add the milk and knead. Let it rest (and raise) for 12 hours..
- Marzipan: mix all the ingedients, make a ball, wrap it in plastic wrap amd let it rest in the fridge for around 10-12 hours..
- Dough: mix the milk, the cointreau, the orange flower water. In another bowl mix the flour, the sourdough (must crumble it), the yeast, the sugar and the salt..
- Add the liquids and the butter (slightly melted) and kneed it. Cover it with a wet cloth amd let it rest u til it doubles its original volume..
- Press the mass down to take out the air and make a ball. Rub vegetal oil in your hands and make a hole in the middle of the ball and stretch it carefully until you have a crown. Flat the sides and put the crown on a oven-tray (covered in paper).
- Put the marzipan in the crown. Once done take the exterior side of the mass and cover the marzipan. Cover t once more with a wet cloth amd let it double its volume..
- Topping: Mix the brandy and the sugar and paint the crown. Beat the egg and paint the crown over the sugar. Put the candied fruts andthe almonds on it..
- Put in he oven for 25-30 minutes. Let it cool down before serving.
As the name suggests, the "king cake" takes its name from the biblical three kings and is a traditional desert consumed by the majority of Catalan families on Three Kings Day. Cake Mixture:, all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt, Eggs, seperated, white sugar, whole milk, vanilla extract maa-chan Catalan Three kings' cake For an extra-special holiday treat, bake this delicious galette des rois, a traditional French cake usually served on Epiphany, the day the Three Kings visited the baby Jesus. The name translates to "king cake," and is similar to the Mardi Gras king cake in that it also features a small prize hidden inside the filling. The cake is eaten on the eve of Saint John's Day, which coincides with the summer solstice. On the Day of the Kings during Christmas, the coca de reyes are easy to spot at bakeries' windows accompanied by a paper crown.