Sausage and mash pie. Creamy leeks, mustard, thyme & apple. Drain the potatoes, mash with half the flour, then season to perfection. Once the mash is cool enough to handle, use your fingertips to spread two thirds of it evenly across the base.
I mean standard bangers 'n' mash are great, but in the form of a pie? This recipe is a mash up (pun fully intended) of my Red Wine Onion Gravy, Cottage Pie. Enjoy sausages and kale with a cheesy mash topping made with leeks and mustard. You can cook Sausage and mash pie using 7 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Sausage and mash pie
- It’s 2 of sausages.
- You need Half of a white onion.
- You need 1 tsp of butter.
- Prepare 1 tsp of oil.
- It’s 2 of medium potatoes.
- Prepare of Butter/ milk for mash.
- Prepare of Gravy (optional).
You can freeze this pie for busy weeknights when you need to feed a crowd. This warming comforting pie fills you and keeps you warm. Add your favourite seasonings, or try adding grated cheese to the top of Boil your potatoes till tender. Drain and mash well. (Add butter, milk, salt and pepper if desired.) Meanwhile, cook your sausages through in a frying.
Sausage and mash pie step by step
- Peel the potatoes and cut into small cubes and cover in water in a saucepan and boil until soft..
- Peel the skin off of the onion and cut it in half. Dice up half of the onion and add it to a saucepan with some butter but dont cook yet..
- Fry the sausages with a little bit of oil and then when they are cooked cut into coin shapes..
- When the potatoes are soft, mash them and then add the butter and milk..
- Preheat the oven to 180⁰/ gas mark 5..
- Cook onions until soft..
- Put the mash into the pie dish and make it sure it's on the bottom of the dish and up the sides. Dont use it all as you need some for the top..
- Add the sausages and onions into the pie dish on top of the mash. Add gravy now if you want to. Then add the rest of the mash on top and flatten it a little but not too much. Cook until golden brown..
When soft add the tomatoes, chicken stock, chilli jam and Worcestershire sauce to the pan, bring to a gentle simmer, then add the sausages and lardons. Up your bangers and mash game with a mustard and cheese topped sausage pie. Serve with green veg and let the whole family dig in. To make the mash, tip the chunks of potato into a large pan and cover with cold water. Add a generous pinch of salt, cover and place over a medium high heat.