Turkey Sweet-Potato Shepherd's Pie. Shepherd's pie filled with ground turkey sautéed with mixed vegetables, sliced mushrooms and fresh herbs with a savory garlic sweet potato topping. This sweet potato shepherd's pie was inspired from my classic Lightened Up Shepherd's Pie. I also have a meatless version, Portobello.
Don't have time to make from scratch? Then simply substitute your turkey dinner leftovers! For the mashed sweet potatoes: Scoop sweet potato flesh into a large bowl and mash with a fork or potato masher. You can have Turkey Sweet-Potato Shepherd's Pie using 17 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Turkey Sweet-Potato Shepherd's Pie
- It’s 2 tbsp of extra-virgin olive oil.
- You need 2 lb of ground turkey.
- Prepare 1 of salt (to taste).
- Prepare 1 of ground black pepper (to taste).
- Prepare 2 tsp of poultry seasoning.
- Prepare 2 1/2 lb of sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed.
- It’s 1 of onion, diced.
- You need 2 of carrots, peeled and grated.
- Prepare 4 of celery sticks, diced.
- You need 4 tbsp of butter, divided.
- It’s 2 tbsp of flour.
- You need 5 dash of Worcestershire sauce.
- Prepare 1 packages of frozen peas (10oz).
- It’s 1 of banana (ripe).
- It’s 5 dash of hot sauce.
- You need 2 cup of yellow sharp cheddard.
- It’s 2 cup of turkey or chicken stock.
Mix in the cream, butter, coriander Set aside. Render down the bacon in a large saute pan or braiser over medium heat until crispy. Ground turkey and sweet potatoes are a tasty twist on a shepherd's pie. It's the perfect comfort food on a cold night.
Turkey Sweet-Potato Shepherd's Pie instructions
- In a deep skillet or a Dutch oven heat 2 tablespoons oil over high heat. Add turkey meat and break up with a wooden spoon, season with salt and pepper and poultry seasoning..
- Place sweet potatoes in a pot, cover with water, cover pot, bring to a boil, salt and cook 15 minutes until tender..
- While the sweet potatoes cook, preheat the oven to 425F..
- Mix in onions and carrots into the turkey. Add the celery and stir, cook 5 minutes. While vegetables are cooking, heat 2 tablespoons butter in a small pot over medium heat. Add flour to melted butter and whisk 1 minute then whisk in stock and season with salt, pepper and Worcestershire. Thicken a few minutes..
- Stir the gravy into the turkey mixture. Stir peas into meat and turn heat off..
- Drain potatoes and return pot to heat. Add remaining butter and melt over medium heat. Peel and slice banana and add potatoes to the pot. Season the potatoes with salt and pepper and a few dashes hot sauce. Mash potatoes and banana to combine, adjust seasoning. Top the meat with the potatoes. Cover potatoes with cheese and set in oven. Bake to melt cheese, 5 minutes..
Sweet potatoes are such a tasty way to satisfy your sweet and savory craving and add some healthy color into your diet. The color is just beautiful and there is so much that you can do. Enjoy 🙂 Sweet Potato and Turkey Shepherd's Pie. An updated skinny version of the classic Shepherd's pie, made with ground turkey instead of beef or lamb, sweet potatoes instead of white potatoes and lots of veggies. Still as delicious (if not better!), but more nutritious!